Backflushing Gaggia Classic

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
anne

#1: Post by anne »

As I understand, backflushing of this unit is recommended, though the manufacturer says not to. I just ordered a tamper from Wholelattelove, and thought I'd purchase a blind basket at the same time, but when I asked about this :
http://www.wholelattelove.com/wll/backflush.cfm
she said that it was not made for the Gaggia Classic, and there was not one FOR the Gaggia classic- I should only descale, not backflush. I did not argue, as I assume that she's just repeating the manufacturer's party line, but then....what do you use? And I *should* backflush occasionally right? I'm sorry to be asking a question that I have seen beaten to death here, but there is something about *everyone* disagreeing with manufacturer guidelines that makes me nervous.

This:
http://greatinfusions.com/acsgroup.html ("Back Flushing disks")
is the same thing, right? (no photo comes up at Great Infusions....you just click on "buy")

or this:
http://www.espressoparts.com/F_156
and this one even says "for Gaggia"

Again, I apologize for even asking this question, but I just have to hear it for myself....the Gaggia CLASSIC *can* and *should* be backflushed? :? And any 58mm SS unit like those above will work?

Thanks

brokemusician77

#2: Post by brokemusician77 »

I have a Gaggia New Baby with the 3-way. I bought a standard 58mm blind basket for back flushing. I rarely do it, though. I've done it a few times since buying my machine, and have seen little point. Even after weeks of not backflushing, the water looks nice and clean. My regular cleaning and descaling seems to do the trick.

As for harming the machine, I can't see any difference between backflushing, and pulling a shot that chokes the machine.

I'd say it's really up to you, but hardly worth worrying about on this machine.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

anne wrote:Again, I apologize for even asking this question, but I just have to hear it for myself....the Gaggia CLASSIC *can* and *should* be backflushed? And any 58mm SS unit like those above will work?
Yes and yes. Why wouldn't Gaggia recommend backflushing? goes into more detail. Several other sites discuss the same point (search on Backflushing Gaggia Classic).

RUMOR: According to an espresso equipment vendor who prefers to remain anonymous, the origin of this recommendation was to cut down on warranty returns. Apparently first-time owners skipped the instructions to use 1/8th teaspoon of Cafiza/Purocaff or similar, instead packing in a tablespoon or more. The crystals would fail to dissolve and block the exit pathway with espresso cleaner. The first-time owner would then return said machine, claiming it was defective. A no-win argument would then ensue between the vendor and customer. By adding this caveat to the manufacturer's instructions, the vendor was immune from warranty claims due to clogging the exit pathway with excessive espresso cleaner.

Of course this is unsubstantiated rumor, but it does sound quite plausible.
Dan Kehn

brokemusician77

#4: Post by brokemusician77 »

Thanks Dan, that's the first I've heard of this.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

anne (original poster)

#5: Post by anne (original poster) »

Thank you!

Heckie

#6: Post by Heckie »

Just caught up with this thread... I respectfully disagree that a Gaggia classic should be backflushed. The aluminum shower plate corrodes significantly over time and is very difficult to get clean without taking down and unclogging manually. Cafiza seems like an easy solution but I have become suspect of backflushing or cleaning Gaggia aluminum shower plates. There is enormous difficulty in removing the taste/odor of Cafiza from the shower plate itself once it has been cleaned and then rinsed. I don't know if this an issue caused by the porosity of the aluminum shower plate or what? Bottom line: It is extremely difficult to remove the detergent smell from the part.. we are talking hours of cleaning and scrubbing, etc... As for the rumor mentioning the Cafiza/purocaff blocking the holes, sounds suspect. Would be interested to hear any folks experience with this issue..
~B

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w replying to Heckie »

If that's the case, can't you simply backflush with the shower plate off?

Also, you can always backflush with water only. I do this after every session. Very quick and easy.

hperry

#8: Post by hperry »

Heckie wrote:Just caught up with this thread... I respectfully disagree that a Gaggia classic should be backflushed. ~B
Have backflushed my daughter's Classic a couple of times with no residual effect. Did use Joe Glo which might have made a difference.
Hal Perry

gbastiani

#9: Post by gbastiani »

I have a Gaggia Baby and descale using cleancaf also us it to soak the shower screen while descaling. I use the cafiza powder to back flush again I remove the shower screen. I back flush twice a month and when I do I get coffee oils and residue down into the drip tray. I follow the direction on the container of the cafiza, first use the cleaner then back flush with clean water. I bought my machine from WLL and was told the same thing about not to back flush the unit. I also descale every three months and I use only bottle water, I use my machine every day to make two sometimes three double shots. I have had this unit for two years and have had no problems with it, but I'm hoping to upgrade this year to a HX machine. From what I was told from WLL the only difference between the Classic and Baby is the plastic body on the Baby, it also has the three way valve.
Gary

Heckie

#10: Post by Heckie »

I like the idea of using cleancaf descaler as a means of staying on top of the frequent scale buildup that's found in the boiler but also for simultaneously cleaning solenoid to group channels. Don't know why gaggia actually recommends against backflushing with purocaff?? I also just use a blank to clean the group with water after each use, great idea, helps keep screen and group clean of grounds :D Just don't see much need for backflushing with detergent otherwise. I suppose taking the plate off before backflushing might be useful as well though.
B