Astoria Argenta basic questions - serial number

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Lifebeat

#1: Post by Lifebeat »

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite a while now, and first off I have to say you are a very nice bunch of knowledgeable and friendly people.

I haven't posted before because, well, I didn't have a "real" machine to post about. I've been using a Saeco Odea for a few years now and I was really ready for an upgrade.

This weekend a found a nice Astoria Argenta AEP 2 group (at least thats what I beleive it is). Think I got a good deal on it (600 CAN$, for the machine, the water softener and a Bregant NR1400 grinder. The pump and motor seem dead, but I'll see when I get to that).

I've seen a few very interesting posts on refurbishing these, and will refer to them often I think...

I do have 2 very basic questions at the moment for which I can't seem to find an answer. Where can I find the nameplate for this machine? (serial, voltage, etc.) I can't find it for the life of me! Second question : what is this red light the arrow points at? I feel it's been added as a modification and haven't done the wiring investigation yet. Do others have such a light?

Thanks for any help!

Chad C.

#2: Post by Chad C. »

Congratulations, you now have a very real espresso machine. These Astoria/CMA/Rio machines are of a decent design, and are well manufactured. While not particularly innovative, they can still produce excellent results when used with skilled hands. Make sure you learn how to tune the pump and boiler pressures to get good results. I've bought & sold several of these, and I like them because they are very low maintenance machines.
In automotive terms, you've bought a Volvo 240 Sedan.

The manufacturer's badge varies in location on these. The machine's voltage and wattage are stamped on its heating element. If it's complete and works, you got a good deal. The help here is good and friendly. Post some pics of its insides, and include any info you need on install options.
Well bought!

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Lifebeat (original poster)

#3: Post by Lifebeat (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply!

I will probably start working on it this weekend, and try to do a photo record of the process.

I do have a first rebuild question : the frame is in pretty good shape but does have some rust zones. Since I've been working in machine design for a while I have a good local contact for zinc plating. I was thinking of having it replated after sanding down the more affected areas.

I've noticed some people do powder coating or other paint treatments for the frame, but for me doing a new plating is easier and also allows me to not worry about plugging the threads in the assembly holes. Right?

Thanks!