Arduino with Gicar Flow Meter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
krmbyl

#1: Post by krmbyl »

Has anyone tried Gicar Flow Meter with Arduino or other boards? I am designing my own controller, bought a Gicar Flow Meter and hooked up signal pin to my interrupt pin but when water passes through the sensor, there are no change in pin state.

What am i doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

randytsuch

#2: Post by randytsuch »

I have a cheap generic flow meter with an ESP in my machine.

For you Gicar, how did you hook it up? There are different versions.

From what I saw, they have open collector output versions, in which case you would need to pull up the output.
If its open collector, the output should be always low until you add a pullup.

Randy

krmbyl (original poster)

#3: Post by krmbyl (original poster) »

Can i drive the Gicar with Arduino's internal 5V? Or does it require external supply?

This is the one i use: https://gicarsrl.com/en/prodotto/modell ... loprodotto

randytsuch

#4: Post by randytsuch replying to krmbyl »

The link says it needs 15mA max. I'd expect an arduino to be able to supply the 15mA without a problem.

If you see strange behavior from the arduino, then power could be a problem. If that happens, you should be able to use whatever you use to power the arduino (whatever is tied to the Vin pin). Since the gicar can handle 4.5 to 24VDC, with will work with the Vin power.

The link also said output is open collector. I'd add a pullup resistor between 1k and 10k, whatever you have. I'd probably use a 4.7k from my junk drawer. Pullup to 5V.

Randy

krmbyl (original poster)

#5: Post by krmbyl (original poster) »

Randy thank you, i will try what you have said. I will keep this topic updated as soon as i try.

crwper

#6: Post by crwper »

Looking at the link that was posted, it says the output is "open collector".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_collector

Usually, this means you need a pull-up resistor on the output line, and the device itself just pulls the line low, e.g., as a periodic pulse as the impeller rotates.

[Edit: Looks like Randy already mentioned this.]