Any ideas why Lelit Elizabeth steaming is taking longer?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Emdh

#1: Post by Emdh »

I've had my Elizabeth for a little over 18 months and it has worked like a dream. I like an extra-hot, extra-large latte and so steam 12 ounces of milk to 165 degrees. That volume and temp has always taken a bit of time but I've noticed over the past couple of weeks it definitely seems to be taking longer than before.

The dreaded limescale comes to mind first, although I've always replaced the in-tank filter every 3 months and after about a year also started refilling the reservoir from a Brita filter. I know those options aren't nearly as good as specialty waters, etc., but I have a Hatch water testing kit that's a step up from the strips, and my tap water (although from a well) is less than 2 grams of hardness per gallon as CaCO3, which is very low as far as I understand it. But my grasp of all the water info. is sketchy at best. I also clean the wand regularly with Rinza, soaking it first and then steaming the solution.

The thought of having to send my machine in for service is :shock: because I'd have to do without it for weeks, so any ideas would be most appreciated!

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

i will bet money the holes in the steam tip are partially clogged. unscrew the tip and clean the holes out real well with a straightened paper clip or similar.

Advertisement
Emdh (original poster)

#3: Post by Emdh (original poster) »

Your money is spot on! One hole is completely clogged. I'm so paranoid about scale that I didn't even think to look at it when it was steaming. Neither I or my husband can get it to budge tho as far as unscrewing it. The videos I could find online about it make it look easy to remove. Any ideas come to mind as far as that goes? Thanks!

guiny

#4: Post by guiny »

I use paper towel folded over to protect the finish and a pair of pliers.

slybarman

#5: Post by slybarman »

if you have any of that rubbery silicone in your kitchen like a pot holder or baking mat, that works pretty well for a no slip grip.

once you get it apart, be sure not to gorillla it back on so it's easier the next time.

ETA: worst case, you can clean the holes out without removing the tip.