Any Breville Oracle Touch owners here? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 »

Did you try the Linea baskets in the Breville? We will learn a lot from that.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Bret

#12: Post by Bret »

israguard wrote:Hi,

I still use and absolutely LOVE my Linea Mini. Its my Wife which asked for the Breville machine.

I use the same coffee bean in both. Zero issue with the Linea yet its impossible to knock out the puck from the Breville. You must use a knife and dig in.

Rgds, Shawn
Can you swap baskets between your machines, as suggested earlier? And what grinder are you using for your LM. Can you grind in the Touch but use the LM to pull. It could be differences in grind, or differences in basket, or the combination of the two.

truemagellen

#13: Post by truemagellen »

If you get frustrated with the touch and want to give it up, just buy an Auto Tamper and then your wife can easily pull the shot on the linea. Or even better a grinder that auto Tamps like a La Marzocco Swift

Techy291

#14: Post by Techy291 »

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is the tamping pressure on the Oracle adjustable/programable?

Maybe the coffee is just being tamped too hard.

Or is too much coffee being used for each shot?

pcrussell50

#15: Post by pcrussell50 »

Once the voids are filled, which requires only a very light tamp, the 130 psi of the extraction blows away whatever tamp force you can exert.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

israguard (original poster)

#16: Post by israguard (original poster) »

The quantity of coffee is set by machine. All i can choose is single or double.

But.. I will for experiments sake try a nice and oily bean and see if it makes a difference.

I believe there is a way to adjust the tamp pressure. Not sure how... but I will google it and see what i can find.

What I can share with you is that after coffee is extracted and I use a knife to cut through puck... seems very "tight" and though damp... its not wet like on my other machines.

Thanks

truemagellen

#17: Post by truemagellen »

I will give you a bit more data to work with. I have found under dosing on a double basket I will have a much harder time removing the puck as the tamp pressed down tighter to the bottom of the basket.

Also the grinder on the oracle touch is unfortunately not up to par with the rest of the machine as the burr carrier mechanism is weak and leads to inconsistent particle size. So you will have the tendency to be setting the grinder much tighter than it should be to compensate for the flow rate (Breville Smart Grinder Pro was like this, a beautiful technologically sound, mechanical dud). So you will have a particle size ranging from turkish grind all the way down to medium grind in one shot. Tamp that tightly and you have created a nice locking mortar that will be hard to expel from the basket.

Adjusting Dose on non touch Oracle Adjusting the tamp and tamp time? Is there adjustment on the Oracle Touch for this? it appears you can only adjust tamp height but perhaps reduce coffee strength?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDbN89Fou-0