Any advice before I plumb in? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lagoon

#31: Post by lagoon »

Here's an easy tip for keeping the drain line clear.

As part of your end of day routine, run about half a litre of hot water from your tea-wand into the drip tray.

This will flush the drain line with clean, hot water.

Second benefit is that it turns over the water in your service boiler, keeping it fresh and reducing mineral concentration.

slybarman (original poster)

#32: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

I gotta say, I'm confused how either an air gap or a high loop would work in this situation. Seems like they would only work when the drain is pump driven versus gravity driven. What am I missing? What would drive the water up to the high point?

lagoon

#33: Post by lagoon »

You don't need or want either. Just use a good sized hose (eg20mm) and a downward slope. Connect it to the plumbing upstream of the S bend.

Done.

truemagellen

#34: Post by truemagellen »

This was completed with help of plumber who does commercial beverage installs, mostly bean to cup and espresso machines. Using commercial beverage fittings and would pass permit for a coffee shop in town. Commercial backflow with drain, shutoff, split line for filter flushing, no push to connect fittings....Any questions?

I highly recommend researching the water in your city and post in the water forum of this site. Alternatively or in addition speaking to professional 3rd wave coffee equipment installers in town to find out how they filter and treat the water in your area.

The bestwax filter kit may remove many things you don't want but may not reintroduce some things you do need. They are extremely expensive for what they are. There are many options out there.

For instance I live in a higher chlorine city but otherwise water is near perfect. So my filtration removes chlorine and reintroduces some minerals for taste that are lost in that filtering process with a powerful simple single everpure filter. At my last residence I had an entirely different filter due to the water composition.

Idfixe

#35: Post by Idfixe »

Measure twice, cut once,
make the hole big enough, look at the connectors required
making a small hole bigger is just tough...
Go through wall but not if exterior (may be against code or freeze)
Put the Y of the coffee machine above the Y of the dishwasher if it's your case
Buy a good filter, change as per manufacturer specs
Enjoy, you will never go back! ;-)

RogerP

#36: Post by RogerP »

slybarman wrote:Thank you for all of that. That is great that you get to experiment with your before adding the stone top. I imagine you can learn a lot that way. The Bianca comes with a supply and drain hose. The drain hose is not ribbed, it is just plain plastic tubing. I was thinking that if I needed to, I could cut it and add an elbow where it enters the counter top to go down under the sink. To connect the drain I had looked at a dishwasher Y similar to what you posted. See photo below. The tubing in the photo looks about the same as what came with my Bianca.
The setup in your photo looks great. It's better if you don't have to use a reducer like I did. Your elbow idea sounds great. With my new setup I probably didn't need the expensive drain hose. But before I moved it it was pinched between the dishwasher and the wall, so the ribbed hose helped me on that install. I wouldn't try to add an air gap or a high loop. Just a short straight downhill shot to the hose fitting. The fitting is above the P trap and that's what you want.

RogerP

#37: Post by RogerP »

truemagellen wrote:
I highly recommend researching the water in your city and post in the water forum of this site. Alternatively or in addition speaking to professional 3rd wave coffee equipment installers in town to find out how they filter and treat the water in your area.

For instance I live in a higher chlorine city but otherwise water is near perfect. So my filtration removes chlorine and reintroduces some minerals for taste that are lost in that filtering process with a powerful simple single everpure filter. At my last residence I had an entirely different filter due to the water composition.
This is good advice. I recently moved only 5 miles and we have a different water municipality and the water contains more chlorine. So I changed my RO filter systems from from one charcoal pre-filter to two charcoal filters. In the kitchen I added a large calcite additive cartridge for drinking, icemaker, and cooking but the PH (8.5) is too high for the espresso machine. So I needed to install a separate RO system for the espresso machine. I added a small final filter that is also a calcite additive filter. I have been using these for a few years and have been able to maintain a PH of 7.5. It really helps to have the separate drinking water system. The espresso system uses much less water so the small calcite filter is able to maintain the PH. When I used the same system for drinking water the small calcite filter could not keep up and the PH would drop to 6.5.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#38: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

And as Pat has pointed out many times its the chlorides not the chlorine that is a big worry and the reason that some can't plumb in. Like where I now live in AZ.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

slybarman (original poster)

#39: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

Disregard - moved to water section.