Alternatives to the La Marzocco GS3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
orian

#1: Post by orian »

I want to purchase an espresso machine but can't afford a la Marzocco GS/3... what I really want. I would like to find one however, that has all of the following:

1. rotary pump
2. dual boiler
3. E61 Brew group
4. Plumb in capability

Does such a machine exist for under $4000?

Thanks

orian

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

there's at least one if you eliminate the e61 from your list of requirements (the GS3 doesn't have one, of course)

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

orian wrote:3. E61 Brew group
The Expobar Brewtus is the only dual boiler E61 that I've heard of. Why is the E61 one of your key criteria? I agree it's a very good design, but even after evaluating a roomful of E61 espresso machines, I'd still pick the non-E61 Elektra A3 over any of them.
Dan Kehn

orian (original poster)

#4: Post by orian (original poster) replying to HB »

Thanks for the replies

I looked into the Expobar but I don't think it has a rotary pump (I could be wrong)and I understand it's quite noisy as a result. I'm new at this so I'm definitely open to changes in my requirements for I have only based them on reviews I have read. I did not know about the A3 looks good but I don't think it has a dual boiler?

Keepitsimple, yes, la marzocco has designed their own group head I believe, if I eliminate the e61 option what machine do you have in mind?

orian

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

orian wrote:I did not know about the A3 looks good but I don't think it has a dual boiler?
No, it doesn't, but I assumed your goal was the best possible espresso since you cite the La Marzocco GS3 as your ultimate choice, if price were not an issue. To my knowledge, no espresso machine available on the market meets all your criteria. Back to my question...
HB wrote:Why is the E61 one of your key criteria?
Dan Kehn

Randii

#6: Post by Randii »

orian wrote:I looked into the Expobar but I don't think it has a rotary pump (I could be wrong)and I understand it's quite noisy as a result.
FYI: My understanding from my research into this machine (I own one) is that the Brewtus does have a rotary pump for their plumbed in version. That version is apparently only readily available in Australia and in Europe. A kit has to be requested from Whole Latte Love for machines in North America if you want that option.

The only other double boiler that is plumbed in within your price range (that I am aware of) is the La Spaziale Vivaldi II, which (from my understanding, not from experience) is a very good machine (reportedly better than the Brewtus) - but it doesn't have the E61 Brew group.

So the point really is a valid one as to why the E61 Brew group is a criteria.

luca
Team HB

#7: Post by luca »

FYI: My understanding from my research into this machine (I own one) is that the Brewtus does have a rotary pump for their plumbed in version. That version is apparently only readily available in Australia and in Europe. A kit has to be requested from Whole Latte Love for machines in North America if you want that option.
Yep, the plumbed-in version is available in Australia. I'm sure that even if a kit weren't available your friendly neighbourhood technician would be able to rig something up for a few hundred bucks. You will lose the ability to use the tank, though.

nB: If we're going to get technical, the brewtus doesn't have an e61 group, it has an eb61 group. I have no idea what the difference is, but I thought I'd point it out for completeness.
No, it doesn't, but I assumed your goal was the best possible espresso since you cite the La Marzocco GS3 as your ultimate choice, if price were not an issue.
I think that that's a fantastic point to make. There is absolutely no substitute for hands-on experience. It would be well and truly worth your while to actually try out some of the machines in your price range if possible, and to relate your specifications back to what you want in the cup. For example, I think that the GS3 is pretty phenomenal when it comes to magnifying the more subtle and fleeting flavours that you get in a great espresso blend, but if what you really want is to get a rich and chocolately espresso at the expense of these flavours, you probably don't need to cough up the dough for a GS3. Specifications are all well and good, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

FWIW, I'll throw this into the ring as another machine that you might like, but that doesn't meet your specs. I haven't used it, but I thought that a few of the other machines by the same manufacturer were quite good.

Cheers,

Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee »

luca wrote:If we're going to get technical, the brewtus doesn't have an e61 group, it has an eb61 group. I have no idea what the difference is, but I thought I'd point it out for completeness.
Luca
I know it doesn't use a standard E61 group gasket but rather a proprietary one that while looks virtually the same but they charge over twice as much for. :shock:
Mike McGinness

keepitsimple

#9: Post by keepitsimple »

orian wrote:
Keepitsimple, yes, la marzocco has designed their own group head I believe, if I eliminate the e61 option what machine do you have in mind?

orian
Given that the one I have is no longer manufactured (although was recently still available from at least one US distributor's site) If I were buying today, I'd buy the La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi.

This is double boiler - rotary pump - plumb in - plumb out (with an optional kit).

I think the Brewtus may be available with a rotary pump in some markets, but not the US as a standard. That does have an e61 style grouphead.

I may soon be in the market for a second machine, and the La Spaziale is the only one on my shortlist. Have to confess that it's *partly* cosmetic - not a fan of big chunks of s/s and chrome (having owned that style in the past). That's a personal thing though.

Richard

#10: Post by Richard »

orian wrote:I want to purchase an espresso machine but can't afford a la Marzocco GS/3... what I really want. I would like to find one however, that has all of the following:

1. rotary pump
2. dual boiler
3. E61 Brew group
4. Plumb in capability

Does such a machine exist for under $4000?

Thanks

orian
The La Spaziale Vivaldi meets three of the four criteria -- it does not have an E61 group -- and retails for around $2,000.
-- Richard