Alternative for PID - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cimbalino

#31: Post by cimbalino »

Do you have plans to make it work with Acaia Lunar?

sandc (original poster)

#32: Post by sandc (original poster) »

Unfortunately, BLE espresso scales all have their own protocols and each has to be handled individually. This will never be possible for all scales - if manufacturers do not disclose protocols or do not provide a sample. Regarding the Lunar, I've asked acaia for a sample but received no reply so far. My recommendation at his point is the Skale 2, which has an open protocol. Alas, with a height of 3.5cm, it is higher than desirable.

sandc (original poster)

#33: Post by sandc (original poster) »

A firmware upgrade for ito's Wifi chip is available. I consider this a critical upgrade for users outside Germany. It improves the factory reset feature (so that in the rare case of a faulty configuration due to flash memory corruption, the module does not have to be returned to service). Download.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#34: Post by blondica73 »

Do you plan on releasing an Ito board for gear pumps? Or are you aware of a PID controller for a gear pump, FG300s? It runs on 24V and needs a 0-5V input signal to determine the motor speed or water flow.

sandc (original poster)

#35: Post by sandc (original poster) »

> plan on releasing an Ito board for gear pumps?

There are no plans for ito and gear pumps.
  • Gear pumps are still too expensive. Even pumps from China (e.g. from topsflo) cost 200$ + shipping + VAT. Easily over 300$ total. Fluid-o-Tech's pumps are even more expensive.
  • They require a lot of space. Most users wouldn't be able to fit a gear pump + 24V power supply + motor control board (if required, i.e. no controller board in pump)
  • The cheaper models don't have the ability to reach pressures over 9-10bar
  • The cheaper models have a fairly low MTBF, e.g. 3000h
  • They shouldn't run dry. Running dry (as could happen in tank machines) could cause damage to bearing surfaces.
  • The models with analog control input are not easily controlled by a microcontroller. Analog voltage is not a microcontroller-friendly signal type.
  • Most importantly, their physical properties seem a mismatch for pressure profiling: They run at high rpm (up to or over 3000rpm), which means that there is a significant inertia moment. They can not perform output power changes as speedily as vibe pumps. Also - I believe - they don't go all the way smoothly down to 0 RPM/0bar, limiting preinfusion options.
The predecessor of ito, arturo, had a 0-5V DAC output for the purpose of driving gear pumps but due to the high price and the other disadvantages, I never actually bought one to investigate the performance. Another technically-minded user (mamu) in my home forum did, 5 years ago, and wrote Arduino pressure profiling code for it. In direct comparison, the pressure profiling seemed not as good as with a much cheaper vibe pump: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/sab- ... 578/page-3