Air-freighting espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stump007

#1: Post by stump007 »

Hi there,

I'm moving in a few days, and will bring my Oscar 2 with me (I tried selling it but didn't work out)

As I move internationally, my stuff will be send in both Air-freight and Sea-freight (2 separate shipments)

Does the machine really have to be drained?
My guess is yes for air-freight as liquids are prohibited + things are likely to freeze in air-cargo.
But what if I put it in the sea container? (it's quite hot right now both in departure/destination countries and in between :D )

Just prefer to avoiding opening the machine as much as possible as I am not a tinkerer

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

Do you have the original packing? My Quickmill came in a pretty nice set of boxes. I am no expert but I would empty the tank and seriously consider emptying the boilers - you don't want water in the electrics. Perhaps a local dealer/repairman can advise or do the prep. What would make me nervous is the uncanny ability of shippers to ignore "this side up" stickers.

stump007 (original poster)

#3: Post by stump007 (original poster) »

Yes, still have the original package.

On the drain, was thinking to try putting it on all it sides to see if that makes some water come out, if so, drain a bit, if not then should be fine for shipping. Shipping company is quite pro, they won't be playing football with the crates :D

Seems if I really want to drain the boiler, I'd need to disassemble panels, and then unscrew a piece of plumbing on the boiler to let the water out.. Really don't trust myself in doing this, but if I absolutely have to do it I'll do it. I doubt I can find someone to do this service for me and moving in a couple days :S

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Draining HX boiler without hot water tap

Siphon it out or use the trick at https://www.elektros.it/it/en/tips_tricks.html to empty the boiler through the steam wand. (search for "empty the water boiler") are the methods mentioned in the thread.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#5: Post by stump007 (original poster) »

Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing, will try this!

harleyujoe

#6: Post by harleyujoe »

Wonder if you put hand Auto Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump on it to draw out water. about 20 bucks

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

I don't know the specifics for an Oscar, but there's surely a fitting for the steam pipe entering the top of the boiler. If so, you can remove it and siphon out the water using a length of silicone tubing (no pump required). If you have a helper, you could also remove a fitting and just turn the machine upside down. Needlessly to say, the machine should be unplugged.

Even if it's transported in a truck, it's better to assume "this end up" labels will be ignored. Or, for a larger, more expensive espresso machine, box it up and strap it to a mini pallet, in which case draining isn't required.
Dan Kehn

#8: Post by stump007 (original poster) »

Ok just, tried the trick from Elektros. It worked for a little bit, but then the water stopped coming out, I got maybe just around 100mL of water out this way. Not sure if the trick doesn't work on Oscar #2 or if I misunderstood the protocol :arrow:

Then I tried opening the box to try opening the boiler pipe fitting as HB mentioned, as seen on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HfGFWncdA

Unfortunately, I do not have a Hex key for this fitting. :arrow:

So instead I just tried holding the machine almost upside down while keeping the steam wand open (and of course the machine cold and unplugged). Water came out, slow, had to hold it a good 5min this way for the water to stop coming out.

Okay I'm sure what I did cannot be recommended and likely bad for the machine, best to order a Hex key. But I am quite in a hurry and it seems to have done the trick :mrgreen:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Sounds like you did fine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272