AeroPress filter below and above puck?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bhennessy

#1: Post by bhennessy »

Anybody have any experience with this? Scott Rao seems to like the results using an aeropress filter on top and bottom of the puck on his Decent machine.

Scott Rao: I've been working on a trick to greatly increase extraction while decreasing channeling

Got to do some experimenting now!

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

I tried it together with blooming and got an absolutely delicious shot of a Heart Kenya at 26.8% extraction. Seems to work great.

catalinH

#3: Post by catalinH » replying to CwD »

Filtered or unfiltered?

CwD

#4: Post by CwD » replying to catalinH »

If you mean filtered for drinking, yup, since top and bottom. If you mean for measuring, then I centrifuged it before measurement, which I've already confirmed is similarly effective to VST filters.

catalinH

#5: Post by catalinH » replying to CwD »

So those high EY are possible?
But it must be validated with with overpriced filters(1 dollar per filter/sample because it's declared standard) and tools from the chemistry lab.
From my perspective looks like advertising VST products or your expertise here.

Madman13

#6: Post by Madman13 » replying to catalinH »

He's not advertising anything, you are the one who asked about his methodology.

luca
Team HB

#7: Post by luca » replying to Madman13 »

He's also definitely not advertising VST, since it sounds like he is saying that he uses the centrifuge to avoid having to pay for VST filters! All he said is that he compared that method to using VST filters to validate it. For all we know, he is using an Atago refractometer. Or maybe even a manual one and converting from Brix!
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1

Madman13

#8: Post by Madman13 »

The aeropress filter goes on top and a 55mm 10 or 20 micron filter paper goes on bottom apparently. I tried with the aeropress filter on top once yesterday but had a hard time getting the slightly oversized filter paper to fit uniformity on top of the puck (the filter paper dug into the coffee puck on one side) and screwed up the extraction, do you have a tip for this?I'm going to try again today

Mrboots2u

#9: Post by Mrboots2u »

Been around a while in one form or another .
Go to 1 minute in to see aeropress filter in use.

CwD

#10: Post by CwD »

catalinH wrote:From my perspective looks like advertising VST products or your expertise here.
luca wrote:He's also definitely not advertising VST,
since it sounds like he is saying that he uses the centrifuge to avoid having to pay for VST filters! All he said is that he compared that method to using VST filters to validate it. For all we know, he is using an Atago refractometer. Or maybe even a manual one and converting from Brix!
I am using a VST refractometer, but yeah, the centrifuge is to get similar accuracy and precision to VST filters cheaply enough to be able to measure every shot I pull. Even published the results to let other people know they can use centrifuging as an alternative too, they aint paying me for that. For that matter, it's not like you need to measure the shot at all for this method to work. But I needed to in order to confirm it works. I can promise I've not been bought by the lobbies for VST (which, if I recall, I've rather publicly criticized some of what they do here in not quite the kindest words before), the paper filter industry, the concept of extraction, or whatever expertise is supposed to mean in that context.
Madman13 wrote:I tried with the aeropress filter on top once yesterday but had a hard time getting the slightly oversized filter paper to fit uniformity on top of the puck (the filter paper dug into the coffee puck on one side) and screwed up the extraction, do you have a tip for this?I'm going to try again today
As I'm currently on a smaller group, I used a v60 filter cut with a fancy circle cutting tool (with whom I also have zero financial interest :p) for the top and bottom. My tool is an adjustable spinny thing with a blade, but a circle punch in each size is probably easier. Or, better yet, a circle punch for the top where it's just dispersion and some 55mm Whatman grade 597 or grade 4 filters for the bottom that don't need cutting.