Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
My first visit to a dedicated coffee site, as I was looking for advice on buying a machine. I think I'll leave e-bay alone.
This CoffeeGeek article is a good read... How to Buy an Espresso Machine. For those who don't like to read long articles, I'll net it out:
- Think about your typical usage. Espresso only? Latte lover till you die? One person service? A crowd? Usage dictates the class of espresso machine.
- Decide on your budget for the entire ensemble including grinder and accessories. An entry level setup is around $500 and a setup composed of semi-commercial equipment represented in this site's reviews is somewhere around $2000.
- Don't cheap out on the grinder, it's more important than the espresso machine.
- If you're budget constrained, see inexpensive grinders and inexpensive espresso machines.
- If you're really budget constrained, consider a good grinder and French press / Aeropress, then adding an espresso machine to the mix later on.