Advice about bringing an espresso machine out of storage? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hbuchtel (original poster)

#21: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Thanks for the link, Chris! It was open as in the picture in the link. I haven't been able to slide the back panel off (it keeps catching on something... did you have this problem?) otherwise I'd try opening and closing the valve to see if it is part of the problem ... but it is probably scale up in the solenoid as Dave said.

*sigh* de-scaling the boiler + tubes is looking more and more inevitable... :( I'm thinking that removing the element and dumping some Dezcal directly into the boiler might be the best way to do that ... sound like a good idea?

I'm a bit confused by suggestions of putting a T on the water-input line with a bottle of de-scaling solution... as far as I can tell the pump doesn't work without any line pressure :?

On the upside every shot so far has been good! I'm getting lots of different tastes - probably 'cause of my un-refined flushing technique. Frothing is ... well, frothing is ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it!

Hey Chris, on your machine do you use the little silver switch above the steam arm for programming volume? Left is 'programming mode' and right is 'set', right?

Henry
LMWDP #53

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
OkcEspresso

#22: Post by OkcEspresso »

Do you have the manual? I have a PDF I can email you if you PM me your email address.

#23: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) » replying to OkcEspresso »

nice! I'll do that right away!

Henry
LMWDP #53

Akstrat

#24: Post by Akstrat »

I too just aquired a '95 Laurentis Jun. It was completely rebuilt by a servcie company I do business with. It is in top shape and I am really looking forward to hooking it up next week.

I am planning to use a Flojet water pump for a water supply. Has anybody tried this? If it is not a good idea, I can hook it up to city water, but I would need a filter system. I would like to keep this portable for shows if possible.

Any insight or tips on pulling good shots would be appreciated.

I have also PM'd for a copy of the PDF manual!

Thanks again and I am looking forward to meeting a few of you!
Mark

#25: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Hey Mark, good to hear of other people using this machine! I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

The flojet should work fine. There are not very many reviews of commercial HXs around, the closest one I know of is Dan's review of the Cimbali Junior.

Henry
LMWDP #53

#26: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

I finally found out why the auto boiler fill wasn't working-

It turns out the solenoid is just fine, the problem was in an L-joint with a tiny passage through it (literally a pin-hole) which was clogged with something.

Well, I think that is the only problem, I'll go try it now...

Henry
LMWDP #53

#27: Post by hbuchtel (original poster) »

Hey hey, it works :)

Have you guys ever seen a filter like this one?

(sorry about the color!)

It goes right in the hole in the L-joint in the above post

Here is a close-up-

This is after de-scaling!

Henry
LMWDP #53

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
OkcEspresso

#28: Post by OkcEspresso »

That is crazy. I have not seen that one. I dont think mine has that filter as I have had every piece apart. There is another weird filter where the gicuelur goes.

Niko

#29: Post by Niko »

My air compressor has a filter just like that!
It's a silent air compressor made in Italy, of course...

espressme

#30: Post by espressme »

Hi,
There is a similar filter used in gas welding torches to prevent the flame from burning back inside the hoses.
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,