Abandoned Speedster Rescue

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stuartmac

#1: Post by stuartmac »

After 580 days of negotiating I have rescued this abandoned speedster from an engineers home office

So almost two years ago I was referred to the a lady through a friend that said she had a la marzocco that needed service and she didnt know anything about it. After the first visit she showed me a nice gs3 that needed love but told me her ex husband had another "expensive machine" in the garage that she wanted to sell but didn't think it was working.

The second machine turned out to be this 2011 speedster (number 144). I immediately knew that I wanted it for myself and over the next few months slowly discussed a fair price. Price started at 6000 and after some electrical work and hearing that she wanted to downsize I offered her a new Silvia pro x as a trade and here it now sits in my garage.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That's an amazing score!
What work does it need? :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

arcus

#3: Post by arcus »

I missed out on one in NFLD years ago that was part of a coffee cart. It still haunts me. Great score!!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Nice! There are several updates you should consider if it is still original. PM me if you want details.
LMWDP 267

Primacog

#5: Post by Primacog »

stuartmac wrote:After 580 days of negotiating I have rescued this abandoned speedster from an engineers home office

So almost two years ago I was referred to the a lady through a friend that said she had a la marzocco that needed service and she didnt know anything about it. After the first visit she showed me a nice gs3 that needed love but told me her ex husband had another "expensive machine" in the garage that she wanted to sell but didn't think it was working.

The second machine turned out to be this 2011 speedster (number 144). I immediately knew that I wanted it for myself and over the next few months slowly discussed a fair price. Price started at 6000 and after some electrical work and hearing that she wanted to downsize I offered her a new Silvia pro x as a trade and here it now sits in my garage.
That's quite a long chase but exchanging a used Speedster for a new Silvia is an incredible deal - for you! Congrats! Even if it doesn't work, surely such a machine is worth salvaging at such a price unless everything inside has to be replaced...
LMWDP #729

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Very very nice. I hope it was stored fully drained.
LMWDP #198

stuartmac (original poster)

#7: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

It was not, I drained the boilers today, one of them was black.

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bmccall »

What an amazing score! Please share the rebuild process as you work through the machine.

JohnB. wrote:Nice! There are several updates you should consider if it is still original. PM me if you want details.
Do you mind sharing these recommended updates with all of us? :lol:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Bmccall wrote: Do you mind sharing these recommended updates with all of us? :lol:
They only apply to early narrow neck Speedsters so it's a small audience. If you own one of these PM me as I'm not interested in answering questions that non owners would typically post in an open thread.
LMWDP 267

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Congrats Stuart! Welcome to the family. Looking forward to seeing this one live again! I think you'll love it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/