9Barista Review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TheCastanza

#1: Post by TheCastanza »

Headline / TLDR: Cool mechanical design; very small footprint; okay workflow for 1 shot if you're not in a rush; forget about multiple back-to-back shots; works well for light roasts; taste absolutely on par with "real" machines, which is to say great!

I recently gave my Robot to a friend on semi-permanent loan, so naturally this was the perfect excuse to shop for a new coffee gadget for Christmas. After some searching around, I came across the 9Barista. I don't see the 9Barista talked about a lot on HB, so if you're interested, check it out at https://9barista.com/. This is an espresso-only machine, so if you need steamed milk, you need a separate solution (or another machine).

Aesthetics and Materials
I was immediately attracted to the industrial design, small footprint, and lack of electricity required. This could fit in absolutely any kitchen so for those with stringent space limitations, the 9Barista should be a serious contender. For those who haven't seen one in person, there are three main pieces to this device - a base that holds the water, a middle section that is essentially a heat exchanger, and the basket/portafilter that locks in to the middle section. One thing that is nice is all the pieces screw together to throw in the cupboard all in one piece (you can even store the tamper in the top).

The materials all seem very high quality, and the package together looks great. My only beef with the materials is there is what appears to be a plastic/resin within the brew path. I'm guessing its Ultem resin based on appearance. I'm sure its perfectly fine, but if ever given the option, I choose to keep plastic away from my hot water.

Workflow
The workflow is not terrible, but is more time consuming than a traditional machine (assuming you've got yours on a timer). Essentially, for each espresso you want to make you need to (1) unscrew the base from the middle section, which is surprisingly hard to do, (2) fill the right amount of water, (3) re-screw the bottom and middle (again not super easy), (3) load the basket/pf, (4) lock it in, and your good to go. Basically, there is a fair amount of screwing and unscrewing, and it is not super smooth or easy to do - both on the number of turns, and the force you need to exert to fully screw in/out. I suspect this might be at least partially a design requirement to accommodate the pressure this chamber is under, but it would be nice for the screwing in/out to be a bit easier and smoother. Once you've got it ready, and on the stove, it takes about six minutes to brew (although you can probably speed up a minute or two).

You might be thinking, six minutes, thats a long time to wait, but this time is entirely hands off. For me, this gives me just the right amount of time to make a leisurely pour over. My wife prefers pour overs and I've been into drinking both an espresso and pour over of the same coffee simultaneously, so this is actually my #1 favorite thing about the 9Barista. With the 9Barista, my espresso and pour over come out nearly at the same time, and there is no choosing which one i want to make first, and have it cool down while I make the other.

Where the biggest problem with the 9Barista lies for me is going from espresso to clean (or second, espresso - more on that in a minute). After your espresso is done, you basically have this hunk of piping hot metal, with a chamber under pressure, likely with water still boiling within. Now, there is a pressure release valve, which works, but that does not really solve your hot metal problem (particularly when unscrewing the device requires a firm grip, see above). So essentially you have to wait for it to cool down. I suppose you could run it under some water, use a wet rag, or something like that, but I worry about shocking the metal with cold water, and messing around with a wet rag everyday doesn't seem fun. I haven't timed it, but id say it takes a ~15 minutes before its cool enough to dissemble. For me, this means that the 9Barista is not really an option for a morning when I'm having a quick coffee, then heading off to work because I don't want to leave it dirty all day. If it is the weekend, or I am working from home, this is no problem at all. Once you've got it apart, it takes a little rinsing out and wiping down, but nothing crazy.

Given these time constraints (six min brew, 15 min cool down, six min brew again, 15 cool down again?), the 9Barista solidly a one-person, one espresso device in my book.

Dialing In / Taste
I have seen some comments/concerns that the 9Barista is hard to dial in. Certainly, it can be a hard when you first get it and you have no idea where the grind range should be because of the long time to make more than one shot. I think it took me three shots to get in the right zone. This is a minor annoyance at first, but pretty much a one time thing. Now that I know about where the grind should be, I've never gotten "bad" coffee but it that first shot with a new coffee is not always optimal. However, I'm almost always able to get it in the "great" zone by the second shot. Now a caveat here: I am not the type to meticulously dial in each and every coffee to god shot level, mainly because I drink basically one shot a day, and am always switching coffees. If you are the type to want to pull a few shots to get it absolutely perfect before you drink anything (or are less sensitive to caffeine than me), then the 9Barista might not be for you because of the back to back shot timing issues.

Another criticism I've seen of the 9Barista is the limited variables you have with which to dial in because pressure and temperature are set by the mechanical design itself. So grind size is the only variable to work with - although I have heard about tricks with the timing on/off of the heat source, which haven't seemed necessary for me to investigate. For me, only having one variable to worry about is liberating and another plus for the 9Barista. It may be important to note that I have been using the 9Barista with a monolith MC4 and MAX, which is known for grind quality/consistency. I can imagine a scenario with a less consistent grinder leading to more frustration (i.e. less repeatability) with the 9Barista where grind size is your only variable - although I suppose this is true to some degree with any espresso machine.

So far, I have been very impressed by the quality of coffee I have been getting out of the 9Barista. I drink mostly light roasts, but not nordic-level light roasts (think B&W, not Sey), and I have not yet found a coffee that doesn't work well in the 9Barista. No experience with how it handles dark roasts. Generally, I find that there is often trade off between mouthfeel/specific tasting-note-type flavors, but this is where the 9Barista really shines. I am getting both a nice thick mouthfeel, and the distinct fruity/floral flavors I would expect.

Alternatives
The most obvious alternatives to the 9Barista are the other manual, non-electric espresso makers: Cafelat Robot, Espresso Forge, and Flair. The 9Barista is most expensive of the bunch (~500 shipped), but similar to Robot (450) and Forge (400). Flair seems to have some some significantly cheaper options in the 200 dollar range, but I'm not too familiar with their product line.

My only experience with these devices is with the Robot, which I have used extensively. The biggest difference between the Robot and 9Barista is the ability to make multiple shots back to back. The Robot can crank out two shots (or more) as fast as any machine, particularly if you buy an extra basket to avoid cleanup in between. So if you need a shot for you and your partner in the morning, its the Robot for me (and 9Barista is not really even an option).

You've also got more control of pressure on the Robot, but whether that is "better" depends on your preferences. For me, the drawback to the Robot was reaching the necessary heat for light roasts. There are relatively easy pre-heat methods, but even with those, it could be challenging sometime. The 9Barista seems to remedy the temperature issue for me automatically, with no fussy pre-heat routine. In sum, the 9Barista is a bit slower to get going than the Robot, but once its on the burner, the 9Barista is more set it and forget it vs. trying to replicate a prior good pull on the Robot.

Conclusion
I think the 9Barista is a great device for two kinds of people: (1) single people who drink one shot in a sitting, and (2) people who already have a "primary" espresso machine to use when they need more than one (and just want something new/cool to play with). I have been frankly surprised just how good the coffee out of this machine has been, so if you've been wondering about the 9Barista, or need something new to buy, I say grab one.

LewBK

#2: Post by LewBK »

I agree that the plastic parts are a downside and enough of a reason for me not to buy what seems to be an otherwise excellent machine. I didn't even know about the resin you mentioned but saw this and said I'm sticking with the Robot:https://9barista.com/product/overheat-repair-kit/ There are many people who don't want plastic leaching into their food and drinks, but whenever I mention this it usually provokes a dismissive response here as engineering is generally prioritized over health.