6-7 months filled and unused E61, any worries?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I have my direct plumbed & filtered (PNW water through a homeland filter, so very soft water 30ppm) e61 (ECM Synchronika) but haven't used it or even turned it on for 6-7 months, water still filled in boilers. I just got busy and distracted with filter brew and multiple burr sets and the time has flown by.

Do I have anything to worry about at all? Mold or algae or bacteria growing in tank? Scale build up? Dried out seals? Anything of that sort? Or just turn the machine on, run a bunch of water through both boilers to freshen it up, and carry on as usual?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

dsc106 wrote:Or just turn the machine on, run a bunch of water through both boilers to freshen it up, and carry on as usual?
That's what I would do. See if anything leaks and take it from there. If everything seem OK, have your 1st shot taste tested by an in-law. :mrgreen:
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jerbear00

#3: Post by jerbear00 »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:If everything seem OK, have your 1st shot taste tested by an in-law. :mrgreen:
:P .... I love this suggestion. Totally what I'd do...

dsc106 (original poster)

#4: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Great! Glad it's all good...

So is there *any* upper limit on leaving water in a machine unplugged and not running? Or can it just go forever that way?

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » replying to dsc106 »

It can go on forever - till there's a problem...

I would just make sure that there is an inlet ¼-turn cutoff ball valve before any filtering and pressure regulating and another one just before the espresso machine. I would turn them all 'OFF' and unplug the machine. I would also suggest an inline Leak Detector with automatic water cutoff to avoid any kitchen disasters.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

dsc106 wrote:So is there *any* upper limit on leaving water in a machine unplugged and not running? Or can it just go forever that way?
I drain the steam boiler through the water tap if I'm not going to use an espresso machine for an extended period (say > 1 month). If it's going in storage, I drain the boilers completely; if there's any risk of freezing, I blow out the lines with [low] pressurized air.

Coming out of storage, I flush the boiler(s) a couple times if it hasn't been that long. If it's been a long time and I neglected to fully prepare it for storage, I treat it as a "preventative descale" opportunity. I'm not sure it's actually necessary, but it helps me purge the "what if there's ick growing in there?" thought in my mind.

FYI, here's a few related threads on the topic from the FAQ:
Dan Kehn

dsc106 (original poster)

#7: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Thank you Dan, do you think I could have done any harm by leaving it unused on counter with water in it? Why or why not, and what would be the problem?

Thank you!

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

Absolutely not. Not to get icky thoughts into your head, but the worse possibility is that algae/bacteria would grow in the boiler(s) and would get thoroughly cooked during the first start up. :lol:
Dan Kehn

appfrent

#9: Post by appfrent »

I would also replace the water filter before flushing boilers few times. Most manufacturers suggest replacing water filter after 1 month of no use.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

truemagellen

#10: Post by truemagellen » replying to appfrent »

Bingo this is the major concern. Just watch as the rust grabbed by the filter gets released into your boiler.