6-7 months filled and unused E61, any worries? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsc106 (original poster)

#11: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Ahhh the filter, ok, so I won't run it with the current filter then. Replace it. Check.

dsc106 (original poster)

#12: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Ok, one point of clarification on the filter. I have the plastic homeland filter from Clive. Is there metal inside? I didn't know rust could build up, how does that work in the filter?

It's plastic tubing under the sink; but then the hose to the machine is stainless steel. Just looking to understand.

Since I'm about due to a filter replacement anyway I will just do it, but good to know for the future. I also didn't realize I only could leave it off for a month or so. I travel a lot for work and am frequently gone for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Advertisement
mrgnomer

#13: Post by mrgnomer »

In my experience leaving water in the boiler of a plumb in e61 HX when shut down for a period of time didn't affect it. The shut off water line slimed up though. Clogged up the machine's water intake filter. A machine doesn't run well without water :|

I will never start up a machine that was sitting without checking the filters, flushing the line until water runs clear and testing the water quality again.

As far as rust developing inside a filter and migrating into the boiler I think it would have to be a lot of rust before it is a big problem.

Honestly, on plumbing forums that talk about draining or not draining your boiler when you shut it down for an extended period the best practice advice is divided. The drain side takes a better safe than sorry position with flushing out sediment a bonus to draining the boiler and an empty boiler doesn't leak. The do not drain side points out that while fresh water O2 and other elements not filtered out encourage corrosion and calcification the water stabilizes over time. The dry overhead in the boiler can be a problem for oxidation but filling the boiler right to the top to displace the air space deals with that. Also when you drain the boiler the walls and other parts are wet and exposed and that leads to oxidation/rust coating. It's probably not a big deal if it's just a coating but something to consider if you want to avoid any oxidation.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love