55 year old beauty

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bobkat

#1: Post by bobkat »

A local restaurant has this 55 year old non working Gaggia on display. The owner says he couldn't get the proper parts for it to work properly....but it sure looks nice!

harleyujoe

#2: Post by harleyujoe »

I saw one few years ago in a antique shops called Golden Nugget in Lambertville NJ and wanted to take home
but they are so large I would have no place to show it ..
But they are sure a beauty to look at..

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

That's nice, especially the glass "hotel group" in the center that's used to brew larger quantities of coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

linuxAndJavaScript
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

Is it possible for someone that's good at restoring these to restore it in spite of the parts being hard to find?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

The dome, the two pots, and the side moldings are completely non-functional; they were a common decorations on 1950s and 60s Gaggias. Underneath the bling, it is a plain vanilla three group lever machine with one group converted to a mass brewer. If the boiler is still good, all the rest are fairly common items for people who restore antique espresso machines. Whether it is worth restoring is another question; this is not a Rolls Royce Faema or Conti; but a VW Gaggia.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Psyd »

There is an Elektra two (three?) group Belle Epoque in brass and copper in a coffee shop near here, It is primarily a hookah joint, and the coffee is nothing to writ home about, so the Elektra died from neglect. Instead of spending the money to fix it, the owner bout a plain vanilla machine and pulls shots form that while the corps of the Elektra sits on the counter. Every once in a while I try to get him to sell it to me for scrap. Secretly, though, I want to refurb it.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175