220v Speedster in an apartment USA?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
godwinv
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by godwinv »

Hi everyone, someone local to me to selling a speedster; and it's been a machine I've been wanting for a long time. Unfortunately I'm currently in an apartment right now and can't change up any of the wiring. I've been looking at transformers, but I don't know enough about it to take the plunge. Does anyone know if I can get a speedster working in an apartment with a transformers? Peak is 3100W and 13.5A

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by buckersss »

Is your stove 240v? If it is, the easiest thing to do is either always change the appliance plugged in, or buy a toaster oven and a heating element while you let the stove collect dust.

While it's possible to rejoin the split legs, it's a bad idea for a bunch of reasons.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

Does the apartment have an electric range with an accessible plug? Or an electric clothes dryer with an accessible plug?

Those are probably the easiest sources of 220v of sufficient amperage.

Next easiest would be if there is a kitchen counter receptacle that has a split circuit and use something like this: https://www.raymondinnovations.com/coll ... ucts/ez240 or https://www.vaporrino.com/VR-Products/E ... /index.php You would have to access your apartment's electrical panel to see if you have a split circuit, and where it is. (Both links just came from a search. The devices claim to have protection against improper use/wiring ... :?: )

A plug-in transformer will not work. Too much power.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

godwinv wrote:Hi everyone, someone local to me to selling a speedster; and it's been a machine I've been wanting for a long time. Unfortunately I'm currently in an apartment right now and can't change up any of the wiring. I've been looking at transformers, but I don't know enough about it to take the plunge. Does anyone know if I can get a speedster working in an apartment with a transformers? Peak is 3100W and 13.5A
In case it helps; I am in the same situation. Rented apartment, originally with no 220V availability. But my apartment maintenance guy has always been super nice, and I only had to ask him. The whole apartment 110V is rated for 20 Amps. He created a 220V outlet just by me asking and I've had my Speedster running here for about 5-6 years now.

So, unless you have a definite "No", it can't hurt to ask. Or if you're super dedicated to the proposition, then consider offering to cover the costs to have an electrician do it. Shouldn't cost too much.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

If the Speedster has the low amp option it would require 2200-watts and not 3100-watts max.

Where there's a Speedster - there has to be a way!

BTW: Is it a 2020 or Idromatic?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

godwinv (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by godwinv (original poster) »

Idromatic, not sure about year. Any idea how to tell if it has the low amp option?

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to godwinv »

Post the serial#.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Ben Z.

#8: Post by Ben Z. »

baldheadracing wrote:Does the apartment have an electric range with an accessible plug? Or an electric clothes dryer with an accessible plug?

Those are probably the easiest sources of 220v of sufficient amperage.

Next easiest would be if there is a kitchen counter receptacle that has a split circuit and use something like this: https://www.raymondinnovations.com/coll ... ucts/ez240 or https://www.vaporrino.com/VR-Products/E ... /index.php You would have to access your apartment's electrical panel to see if you have a split circuit, and where it is. (Both links just came from a search. The devices claim to have protection against improper use/wiring ... :?: )

A plug-in transformer will not work. Too much power.
Wow. I built one of these nearly 20 years ago (same application as op, except not a speedster!) and it felt (and still feels) like the sketchiest electric thing I've done. I honestly can't believe it's an actual product.

I mean, it can work perfectly fine and probably even be safe, but it feels very wrong.

It doesn't need to be the same receptacle, just two from opposite phases within the range of the cords.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Ben Z. wrote:It doesn't need to be the same receptacle, just two from opposite phases within the range of the cords.
Yes, but one wants the two breakers to be ganged together. That happens in a split receptacle; it probably won't otherwise.

The external device can incorporate that protection. Note that I have no idea for the devices that I listed do that.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

godwinv (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by godwinv (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Post the serial#.
Maybe 11231221?

Also says 230V 50/60Hz 3100W on the plate