220v Speedster in an apartment USA? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by buckersss »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:If the Speedster has the low amp option it would require 2200-watts and not 3100-watts max.

Where there's a Speedster - there has to be a way!

BTW: Is it a 2020 or Idromatic?
May be easier to check if any circuits are already wired for 20amps.

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

baldheadracing wrote:Next easiest would be if there is a kitchen counter receptacle that has a split circuit and use something like this: https://www.raymondinnovations.com/coll ... ucts/ez240 or https://www.vaporrino.com/VR-Products/E ... /index.php You would have to access your apartment's electrical panel to see if you have a split circuit, and where it is. (Both links just came from a search. The devices claim to have protection against improper use/wiring ... :?: )
I think that the EZ220 approach is a little sketchy. The safety feature that supposedly cuts power when either side fails or has been shut off at one or the other the breaker is an important one compared to some DIY approaches. But a key issue here is that it won't run from GFCI protected outlets. Espresso machines really should have GFCI or RCD. If I were to do this I'd want to add a 220V inline or adapter GFCI on the line to the machine.

P.S.
A little discussion around this approach from a while back can be found here: Synesso on a quick220
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

godwinv (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by godwinv (original poster) »

Re, circuits wired for 20A, I think this might be the case. I'll reiterate I know nothing about electricity but these middle two breakers are what controls the outlet by my coffee bar:

This sounds promising, but I'm not sure exactly what this means :)

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

That looks like a quad tandem breaker that would serve two 240V 20 amp circuits in your kitchen. The two in the middle go to one split phase 240v, and the two on the outside go to another one. Note that you can flip either circuit off, and when off it opens both live wires to the circuit. The "non-common trip" says that when one breaker trips (internally) the companion breaker doesn't necessarily trip.

I think it wise to consult a licensed electrician for advice here to be clear about what you have and how to get where you need at your coffee bar.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

homeburrero wrote:... A little discussion around this approach from a while back can be found here: Synesso on a quick220
The Quick220 converter was the one I was thinking about but it didn't show up immediately on searching and I couldn't remember the name.

As the pictured breakers are non-common trip, it is important that the converter offer some type of equivalent protection - and it isn't clear if all of them do.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by buckersss »

godwinv wrote:Re, circuits wired for 20A, I think this might be the case. I'll reiterate I know nothing about electricity but these middle two breakers are what controls the outlet by my coffee bar:

This sounds promising, but I'm not sure exactly what this means :)
Any single pole 20amp breakers?