20A Smart plugs?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Seeking recommendations for a 20A smart plug/timer for my new-to-me-oh-boy-I-can't-wait-to-get-it-all-plumbed-and-wired Elektra A3.

I had a Wemo on my Silvia and that was great. Would prefer remote access--turn on and off from my phone--since the Elektra takes 40 minutes to heat up. Might just leave it on, but until I know what the power bill is, would rather have it on a timer. While I do like the convenience the Wemo offered, I don't want to invest in anything heading towards whole house stuff, and will never use Alexa. iOS compatibility is essential if Wifi is involved.

There are a few 20A outdoor timers, but haven't seen much like that with wifi connection.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

This has come up before, either here (probably) or on CG. As I recall, there are a few smart plugs out there that will work...sorry I can't recall which. Perhaps a search of the archives would reveal. There is a way to use a regular smart plug, but it requires adding a little box with a relay in line with your 20-amp circuit to the machine. The 20-Amp into the box goes to the relay, which goes to the machine. The smart plug can then be plugged in wherever you wish and hooked to the coil wire of the relay. It would be a bit of a kluge, but who's to see it hiding behind a big espresso machine :D

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

Nunas wrote:This has come up before
See Z-Wave 20A Timer/Outlet

One of the better recommendations from that thread was the Enerwave ZW20R, with caveats about hub pairing:
shife (in linked topic) wrote:I've been using an Enerwave 20A outlet to control my Lucca M58 for several months now. I have it linked to a Samsung Smart Things hub. It works great. The Enerwave outlet is a bit tricky to link to the hub. You literally need to have them within an inch of each other during the binding process. Once linked you can move them wherever you want. I made up a 50ft cat5 cable so I could just set the hub next to the outlet to pair them.
Also, note that the outlet is not GFCI, and GFCI is always a good idea on an espresso machine. Ideally you would have your electrician install a GFCI breaker for that circuit back at the panel, which may even be required by code depending where the outlet is located. You could use an inline GFCI cord between the machine an the outlet, but electrical inspectors would probably not like that if it's a kitchen countertop outlet.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

shotwell

#4: Post by shotwell »

Because this is likely to be a 20 amp dedicated circuit with only the espresso machine on it I'd suggest going into this with a plan to have a GFCI breaker installed at the box.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by pizzaman383 »

Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Mat-O-Matic (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Mat-O-Matic (original poster) »

!Thanks, everyone. This has been enough to get things going.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.