La Marzocco Linea Mini R - Page 19

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
joiglan

#181: Post by joiglan »

sboplataz wrote:It should have a saturated group head, like the original and micra
It's an integrated design on Mini and Micra.

Ypuh

#182: Post by Ypuh »

Can't say the though hasn't crossed my mind, brewing your cups with a screwdriver at hand to control the pressure while switching the lever with the other hand. Imagine what friends and family would think if they see you in action.

That's kind of exactly the problem; you need a control mechanism to control the pump pressure. Currently that's an analog setting on the pump, probably just a valve that reduces throughput somewhere. For a true pressure controlled pump you need either an electronic feature that does this for you (like the Strada gear pump mod), or a mechanical 'extra hand' that somewhere limits the flow (like the Grafikus mod).

It can be done, it just adds another €500 to each machine. I've always wanted to keep this option open, but a few years in with the Linea Mini I don't really see the point anymore. Most people I know with a flow controlled paddle on their E61 have tried it a handful of times and after that just left the paddle open and not use it ever again.
I don't want a Decent

Ging3rBen

#183: Post by Ging3rBen »

Interesting view. I'm 99% of the way to buying the new mini but I have been debating with myself as to whether I want a flow/pressure profiling machine for the added experimenting.
I feel though that I would fall in to the camp of using it a but then not really bothering longer term.
I think the mini ticks all my boxes especially with the option to mod it in the future should that itch need scratching.

Fitz454

#184: Post by Fitz454 »

Laurintzon wrote:Maybe a stupid question but now that Linea Mini R has the pump pressure adjustment easily on the top, why couldn't you use this also for active pressure profiling (by turning the screw)? Of course you could then modify it so that you could just use eg your fingers to turn a knob.

I think I'm missing something..
I posted this question after I had purchased and received my Micra. My initial thought was to provide easy access through the top of the Micra to allow pump pressure adjustments for different coffees/experimentation. A second thought was to use this capability, on the fly, to preinfuse/profile. But when I tried it with the cover off, the adjustment screw didn't allow very precise pressure control. But this was on a Micra. YMMV.

AT06

#185: Post by AT06 »

Having played around with my Mini R for the last week:

1) The new cool touch steam wand is 99% as good as the Pro Touch wand. The additional cost for anyone upgrading the old Mini is completely unnecessary getting the Pro Touch wand.

2) The new pre-brew and double solenoid is a very good half way house to the Grafikus / Slayer style mod. I have it set to a 5 second initial infusion, a hold for 9 seconds, followed by the full brew. The initial 5 seconds is enough to wet the puck and provide some initial pressure, and the 9 second hold allows that to saturate to the point of just about to drip. It certainly helps ensure even extraction.

3) The pressure adjustment is not sensitive. It takes more turns of the screw than you think to adjust pressure. I don't think it's necessary or accurate vs. the new pre-brew and additional solenoid.

4) The matte paddle and knob materials do not attract fingerprints, and stay nice and clean. A nice upgrade.

5) The integrated timer does blend in, even on my white machine.

6) The painted splashback, compared to chrome, is easier to clean. But it does feel like a downgrade. It inevitably will be easier to scratch.

Jaroslav (original poster)

#186: Post by Jaroslav (original poster) »

AT06 wrote:1) The new cool touch steam wand is 99% as good as the Pro Touch wand. The additional cost for anyone upgrading the old Mini is completely unnecessary getting the Pro Touch wand.
I agree with this, but where did you compare the two? Did you have a Linea Mini with the Pro Touch wand before? There's no doubt both perform more or less the same at home, I'm quite sure nobody would be able to tell the two apart. Having a steam wand built by an aerospace company is such an overkill haha, especially for home use :) Giving it the new Cool Touch wand is reasonable, consequently driving the price of the Mini down quite a bit.

What I really, really like about the new Mini is the rinse mode. I always found using pre-infusion sort of annoying, as you can't rinse your portafilter properly if you set it to let's say 2s. With this you can use a short preinfusion and still rinse the portafilter comfortably. Super nice, I hope they push it to the previous model too.
Jaroslav

BaristaBob

#187: Post by BaristaBob »

AT06 wrote:Having played around with my Mini R for the last week:

1) The new cool touch steam wand is 99% as good as the Pro Touch wand. The additional cost for anyone upgrading the old Mini is completely unnecessary getting the Pro Touch wand.

2) The new pre-brew and double solenoid is a very good half way house to the Grafikus / Slayer style mod. I have it set to a 5 second initial infusion, a hold for 9 seconds, followed by the full brew. The initial 5 seconds is enough to wet the puck and provide some initial pressure, and the 9 second hold allows that to saturate to the point of just about to drip. It certainly helps ensure even extraction.

3) The pressure adjustment is not sensitive. It takes more turns of the screw than you think to adjust pressure. I don't think it's necessary or accurate vs. the new pre-brew and additional solenoid.

4) The matte paddle and knob materials do not attract fingerprints, and stay nice and clean. A nice upgrade.

5) The integrated timer does blend in, even on my white machine.

6) The painted splashback, compared to chrome, is easier to clean. But it does feel like a downgrade. It inevitably will be easier to scratch.
Thanks for your comments. Keep them coming!! I'm curious as to how long you can run the prebrew cycle? So what are the maximum times you can set?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

cb
Supporter ♡

#188: Post by cb »

Laurintzon wrote:Thanks for sharing your "underground" setup! Yes I know Aquastop, I have one with my dishwasher, sorry for being a little unclear. But it's actually a good point to use it with Mini as well, didn't think about it before. My coffee station is not on a kitchen countertop but next to it in a kind of an open closet, and I want all the pipes etc. hidden. That's why the drainage might be a problem because the pipe would need to go flat partly, but the vertical difference might still be enough. Need to check with the plumber.
Here's the finished setup with waterblock (set to a max of 2,5 l per minute) and a pressure regulator on the line to the Mini. I also placed two inexpensive water alarms, one on the floor and one where the water tank used to be in the Mini.

Laurintzon

#189: Post by Laurintzon »

Ypuh wrote:Can't say the though hasn't crossed my mind, brewing your cups with a screwdriver at hand to control the pressure while switching the lever with the other hand. Imagine what friends and family would think if they see you in action.
Haha :lol:
Fitz454 wrote:I posted this question after I had purchased and received my Micra. My initial thought was to provide easy access through the top of the Micra to allow pump pressure adjustments for different coffees/experimentation. A second thought was to use this capability, on the fly, to preinfuse/profile. But when I tried it with the cover off, the adjustment screw didn't allow very precise pressure control. But this was on a Micra. YMMV.
Great to hear your both comments and that someone else had thought this too. I wasn't then totally off as in theory you could pressure profile by turning the screw. But in practice this is difficult, not precise and not very practical. With Mini, if you want true controllable pressure profiling, the needle valve kit might be your easiest option, or the EMP mod.

But I'm still happy that La Marzocco added the pressure adjustment on the top. Now it's not too much to bother if you want to change the pressure e.g. to 6-7 bar for some lighter roasts.

Laurintzon

#190: Post by Laurintzon »

cb wrote:Here's the finished setup with waterblock (set to a max of 2,5 l per minute) and a pressure regulator on the line to the Mini. I also placed two inexpensive water alarms, one on the floor and one where the water tank used to be in the Mini.

Thanks, great to hear and see how you've built your setup - looks good! Got good ideas. And inexpensive water alarms are not a bad idea, need to get those too. I'm about to start my plumbing project soon.