10g Decent Espresso basket - best for single shots?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
romaen

Postby romaen » Nov 08, 2018, 2:15 am

Hello!

Has someone tested the 10g decent espresso basket? Is the basket flat at the bottom (like a double basket)? If yes, it seems to be the ideal basket for single shots, right?

I ordered IMS The Single (7.5g)... and it seems like I can't put in more than 5.5g coffee (tested it with the „nickel test" + the puck always sticks on the shower screen). At least with my Breville Dual Boiler.

Thank you! :)

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Nov 08, 2018, 4:04 am

Assuming you want to make a half-a-double single (ie, single shot that tastes close to a double but half the volume), the proper way to do it is by reducing the basket diameter, not height (puck thickness). That is also partly why the tapered/cone-shaped single baskets don't work as well (dosage/headspace issue aside).

The La Marzocco single basket was created with this principle in mind and it works, but will require a different tamper (41 mm).

The Decent 10g basket seems like a regular double basket, but just made shallower. It will likely require super fine grind and I expect it to be more difficult to use due to that. The taste/shot quality will not be the same as a double due to the fine grind.

You can try dosing about 10g in a 14g basket and see if you like it. That'd probably get you quite close to the Decent 10g, but at the expense of a wetter puck (more headspace).

romaen

Postby romaen » Nov 08, 2018, 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply!

I guess you are right - but I thought, due to the fact that you can grind finer (with the 10g decent basket), that the taste won't be less intensiv in comparison to a common single basket.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » replying to romaen » Nov 08, 2018, 4:08 pm

There's only one way to find out - try it out! :lol: I did that (using less coffee in a 14g basket) but I didn't like the taste profile, maybe it will work for you.

romaen

Postby romaen » Nov 09, 2018, 1:12 am

Not a bad idea :)

When refering to the La Marzocco Basket, are you talkinger about this one? https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... le-basket/

Maybe I should try this one too. Or is it similar to the Breville single basket?

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Nov 09, 2018, 2:13 am

That's the one. It's different from the single that came with the BDB. The LM basket has a cylinder-ish-shaped mini chamber in the center that takes up to 7-9g.

The key is to only fill up the mini chamber in the middle and thus the need for a 41mm tamper for tamping. I had used that LM single basket with a BDB, it did work, but the puck was not 100% dry (the normal double basket aren't exactly dry either, but the single will be wetter). Most people wouldn't bother with a single for these reasons. If you're hell bent on getting singles right, I reckon they are the one to go for.

The LM single basket has been my daily go-to for more than a year now, despite owning multiple precision double baskets with special tampers. :P

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Nov 09, 2018, 3:36 am

I have had some success with the single basket that came with my LMLM.

However, I've found it a lot easier to simply make a double and split it, or usually, just drink the double.

vit

Postby vit » Nov 09, 2018, 5:45 am

samuellaw178 wrote:That's the one. It's different from the single that came with the BDB. The LM basket has a cylinder-ish-shaped mini chamber in the center that takes up to 7-9g.

The key is to only fill up the mini chamber in the middle and thus the need for a 41mm tamper for tamping. I had used that LM single basket with a BDB, it did work, but the puck was not 100% dry (the normal double basket aren't exactly dry either, but the single will be wetter). Most people wouldn't bother with a single for these reasons. If you're hell bent on getting singles right, I reckon they are the one to go for.

My roaster is using that basket for singles (I checked after we had a discussion single vs double basket back in august). They just fill it up with about 10g of coffee (so there is some coffee in the wider part) and tamp using standard tamper. Tastes ok to me

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » replying to vit » Nov 09, 2018, 6:22 am

You're right, using it that way can work to some extent. But it is basically not tamping at all and I felt it was not very consistent for me, especially after WDT. If you feel the puck with your fingers after tamping, the bed is still pretty much soft & spongy.

romaen

Postby romaen » Nov 09, 2018, 11:58 am

Do you guys know if this is the same basket & if this site is legit? it seems so cheap ...
https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/la-marzoc ... 5227-p.asp

*edit
what is the different between those two baskets? someone told me they are the same

7g VST single basket for 20€ (https://www.tidaka.net/de/product.html? ... &info=1270)
and the LM 7g basket for 9€ (https://www.tidaka.net/de/siebe/lm1er-s ... amper.html)