Your Worst Coffee Out In 2020

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

This is intended to be a positive thread. Feedback for cafes and shops. Not right or wrong. Good or bad. Just feedback for consideration. AND ask where else to go in the city or town you are in so you can learn too.

We arrived at the Palazzo in Vegas for a 40th Anniversary celebration. On their Prestige level they have a LaVazzA machine.
Thought oh how fun. Burnt burnt burnt and they add sugar to the milk drinks. Is that to mask the burnt? I mentioned it to the desk in a nice way.

Anyone know of a good spot in Vegas on the strip? Seems to be lots of big chains only.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I don't drink coffee out. Wait...I don't even go out!

But I went to the Giant/Eagle game a couple of weeks ago and forgot to have a coffee at home. I was going to be gone until mid-evening so I figured I'd better grab a coffee at the game ro risk a headache. It was DD coffee in a Cambro. Very stale, but not burnt or nasty. I actually started enjoying it a bit, when I got to the pile off grinds on the bottom of the cup. Yuck.

Cafes need to learn to sell lighter roasted coffee. It stales much slower and never really gets as bitter as burnt coffee.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

I was in No CA when Peets started and I always wondered if the dark roast was because it was easier to be consistent on a large scale across many beans.
Artisan.Plus User-

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

I had a nice after lunch espresso while pit stopped in Las Vegas at Sunrise Coffee on East Sunset (Henderson) last summer. They have a Slayer. And use Olympia beans.
No Espresso = Depresso

thirdcrackfourthwave

#5: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I don't go out much but if someone wants to meet up, I'm game. I won't name an specific places because I don't go out enough to give a fair evaluation. I recently went to one highly regarded 'top' place in the city. It was a flat unexciting shot. My friend agreed. Specific barista? I've gone into flagship roast places and the bags were already ten days post roast. Ya know I can get that at the supermarket right? This has happened in several places in a couple of cities.

I will say the filter stuff at catered events in town is generally pretty good.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:
Anyone know of a good spot in Vegas on the strip? Seems to be lots of big chains only.
Publicus may have seen it's best days in the rear-view window, but I'd still go there for good coffee in Vegas before settling for what's more commonly offered to the general public. The Venetian in Vegas also picked up Dandelion Coffee as a partner, and serves coffee brewed on Ground Control, which is exceedingly tasty.

I haven't been to Vegas in almost 8 years so this is all from second hand reports.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

isleofman

#7: Post by isleofman »

I only drink coffee away from home when I am on vacation.

Spent New Years at Mont Tremblant in Canada. They have several coffee shops in their faux euro village area. I assumed one would be offering a high end cafe experience. Nope. They were all slinging push button fully automated garbage that tasted like burnt tires. About on par with the free espresso drinks at my local Toyota dealer. Cafe Nero would have been a welcome sight.

Happily, my sister brought her pour over set up.

Lissa

LVD

#8: Post by LVD »

I've been to Vesta coffee roasters a couple of times while in Vegas and enjoyed it. It's not right on the strip, but it's reasonably close.

I fly for a living so my bad coffee experiences are to numerous to list :P . But I've also had the opportunity to sample many good cafes all over the country and abroad.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

TomC wrote:The Venetian in Vegas also picked up Dandelion Coffee as a partner, and serves coffee brewed on Ground Control, which is exceedingly tasty.

I haven't been to Vegas in almost 8 years so this is all from second hand reports.
Aren't they a Chocolatier? They are in the Canal Shops. Not sure we will be by there again this trip.
Artisan.Plus User-

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 »

Bouchon Bakery is good or at least use to be.