Your favorite chocolatey medium roast easy-to-brew espresso blend

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jebez

#1: Post by Jebez »

I'd love to try some chocolatey med roast blends suitable for cappuccinos that are easy to dial in - and hopefully on the adorable side. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

George Howell Alchemy has been pretty reliable for me for a classic espresso. It is based on Brazil Dattera so a lot of the "chocolate and nuts" come from the bean rather than just the roast. I drink straight espresso mainly, so I don't know if you'd find it aggressive enough for milk. It is, for me and my light-roast preferences, a very laid-back espresso.

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

Hatch Blackout, Gamma and Supernova. All easy to dial in and in descending roast order.
★ Helpful

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

★ Helpful

chanty 77

#5: Post by chanty 77 replying to cafeIKE »

I really enjoyed this one, but wish they sold it in at least 12oz. sizes. All they'd have to do is jack the price up from $11. I guess if I really wanted to order this again (which I may cuz it was pretty good)--I would just order two 8.5oz. bags which would give me a little over a pound for $22--which is a great deal since most roasters are selling 12oz. bags for $17-24.

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

I buy it in 5-pound lots, parcel into 125g and freeze.
I can have as much or as little as I need.

Jebez (original poster)

#7: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

Thank you kindly @Jeff, @PIXIllate, @cafeIKE, and @chanty 77 for your thoughtful suggestions and comments.

I clicked on the link that cafeIKE provided and will be ordering Cimarron Courthouse immediately.
This sounds delicious and not exorbitantly priced.
I also appreciate the link to the thread on this blend and will read through it for brew suggestions.

I'm going to start with their 250g bag, and am confident that my second order will be for the 1 kilo size and save on shipping).

Is there anything else from Cimarron Coffee Roasters that work well for Espresso?

Advertisement
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by JB90068 »

Jebez wrote: I clicked on the link that cafeIKE provided and will be ordering Cimarron Courthouse immediately.
This sounds delicious and not exorbitantly priced.
I also appreciate the link to the thread on this blend and will read through it for brew suggestions.

Is there anything else from Cimarron Coffee Roasters that work well for Espresso?
Thanks to both you and Ike and I also just placed an order for a bag of Courthouse as well. Cheers.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by dparrish »

Caffe Lusso's Gran Miscela Carmo is a forum favorite (milk chocolate), as is any of the Saka blends (Cantina Coffee)...many of us love the Gran Bar and Crema Bar. The Gran Bar is chocolate with a bit of hazelnut and a slight winyness; the Crema Bar (with more robusta content) has a bit more of the hazelnut notes). I also love Espresso Vivace's Vita which is great in milk, but it is more caramel than chocolate (though caramel in spades).

Jebez (original poster)

#10: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to dparrish »

Thank you @dparrish for the suggestions - which I'm going to add to my list.
But before I do, are the "Saka blends" and the Gran Bar and Crema Bar all from Caffe Lusso (a roaster that I know has received a lot of praise).

UPDATE:
I googled 'Saka Blends' and found Cantina Coffee - which you did include in your comment.
The site looks great - and especially all of the amazing variety they offer. Can't wait to place my first order.
Thank you again.