Your favorite Blue Bottle espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jebez
Supporter

#1: Post by Jebez »

Greetings friends.
I've never tried any of the offerings from Blue Bottle and wanted to treat myself on the occasion of my 70th birthday in a few days. I noticed that they have an interesting assortment on their website and would love to know what your favorites are from this roaster.
I typically enjoy full body shots, chocolate and nuts, and beans that are easy to dial in (who doesn't :D )
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

ReignDrops

#2: Post by ReignDrops »

Youll love their house shot, Hayes. I ran it as 20g in 30g out.

Advertisement
Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#3: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to ReignDrops »

Thank you @ReignDrops.

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

It's not often discussed here, but I've really enjoyed their Bella Donovan pulled as an espresso. Lots of chocolately weight informed by a little berry vigor. I've always enjoyed blends of medium-dark New World and Ethiopian beans done well, and this particular one is done quite well.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#5: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

Thank you @Balthazar_B. That sounds delicious. I'll add that to the list.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

+1 on Hayes, though I preferred the 17ft ceiling because it's a little lighter, and the mild acidity is cherry/stone fruit vs citrus, which is my personal preference. In both cases, I found the espresso recipes on the bags to be spot on. For Hayes, that's as Reign Drops said. For 17 ft it's a tight ristretto, like 19:21 or something. My recollection is that it was similar to squirting Hershey's syrup straight from the bottle.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#7: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to Mat-O-Matic »

Thank you @"Mat-O-Matic.
"...similar to squirting Hershey's syrup straight from the bottle."
That sounds too good to resist! I'll also have to add 17ft ceiling to the list.

Advertisement
objective1

#8: Post by objective1 »

+1 on the 17 ft ceiling. they use a high quality robusta as the foundation for the blend... the trick the barista's suggested from the mission location in San Fran was that not only is a tight ristretto, but its a long brew time... like 40+ seconds...

The Hayes was also nice at home as well in their shops.

I've also gotten quite a few of their single origins and run them as espresso. typically as EK shots 1:3 ish.. enjoyed most everything. trust their tasting notes...

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#9: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to objective1 »

Thank you @objective1. I'm sold and will definitely order up the 17 ft ceiling as well.
At some point, I'll follow your advice and try their single origins.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an EK shot?

Balthazar_B

#10: Post by Balthazar_B »

Jebez wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but what is an EK shot?
Ground on a Mahlkonig EK43, which is a big flat burr machine. Quite expensive and so ugly it may be grounds for divorce. But when it's calibrated correctly, it can grind very evenly and provide high-extraction shots. But there are many other grinders out that that will give you the means to make reliably great espresso (and the grinder is the most important piece of equipment for this).
- John

LMWDP # 577