Yes Plz Coffee (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
wilsonkichoi

Postby wilsonkichoi » May 16, 2018, 6:18 pm

Learninginlondon wrote:Am curious but there doesn't seem to be much info as to brew method or even an indicative roast profile..

Here are the question I asked Tonx via the kickstarter

Question: Is "The Mix" from this campaign different than "The Mix" available at Locol?

Tonx: It'll be different. The coffee side of the LocoL project ended when they stopped serving breakfast, but it was a great test bed for some of our ideas.

Question: What is the roast level going to be? ( light / medium/ etc )
How would this perform as espresso and your recommendation on dosages? ( my setup: londinium l1 + monolith flat)

Tonx: We're probably in the Medium to lighter-side-of-Medium by most people's reckonings.
I think there's two factors when it comes to what beans/blends work as espresso: the degree of difficulty to get a good extraction (some beans or roast profiles being more of a high wire act), and then whether or not the flavor profile is compatible with espresso. I think we tend land in a very good place on both counts.
I'm always a bit skeptical when a roaster suggests very narrow specs for espresso-- x grams in to x grams out-- and expects it to apply across all machines, baskets, pressures, waters, and palates. I tend to like classic "goldilocks" 1:2 ratio espressos. Not quite ristretto but not the modern "coffee shot" which seems like a bit of a cop-out way of getting nice beverages out of more difficult coffees. But that's more me stating my personal taste that offering a prescription.
Sorry that's a little long winded, and I hope not *too* evasive!

yakster

Postby yakster » May 17, 2018, 1:25 am

Thanks for posting the response, Wilson. Sounds good, I pledged for the two bags.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marshall

Postby Marshall » May 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

More questions answered by Tonx on Medium (including "why Kickstarter, if you don't need the money?"): https://bit.ly/2GrNOkI.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Intrepid510

Postby Intrepid510 » May 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

I am up for it.

There is too much garbage coffee out there roasted by people who have less experience than most of the contributors in the home roasting forum on this website, charging more than $15 dollars a bag no less.

I would hope they could get their scale up to where they can send out a bag of coffee for something like 10 bucks a bag. I believe they sold bags at locol locations for $8 bucks a bag. So getting it down into the Starbucks price range would be interesting, and I think that's the market they're after.

Imagine it would be hard to do, but they are probably the people to do it.