Why isn't bitterness considered desirable in coffee tasting? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Pressino »

This could explain varying coffee preferences, say between different European and Asian groups. I think we're on to something here! 8)

dsc106

#12: Post by dsc106 »

I like acidic and sour flavors, I don't like overly acidic and sour flavors.

I like bitterness, I don't like overly bitter flavors.

When I say my coffee tastes sour, I am not indicating I don't like acidic flavors in my coffee (I love that). I am saying it's out of balance and far too acidic.

When I say my coffee tastes bitter, I am not indicating I don't like some degree of bitter flavor in my coffee, I am saying it's out of balance and far too bitter for my tastes. But this obviously isn't as clear as sour/acidic because we're using the same word.

Perhaps if we universally used bitter/burnt in the way we use acidic/sour, respectively, the distinction would be more clear in what we mean.

The goal with coffee is usually a well balanced cup, where the extremes aren't too high on any one thing. Some people may prefer a more accidic or bitter emphasis, but I don't think anyone who really pays attention to taste prefers anything too far in any one direction... though personal thresholds/preferences may vary.

Well, I could be wrong. That is my best understanding of it. Feel free to push back :)