Why is Passenger no longer listing the processing methods on its coffees?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

At least, I could not find it on any coffees. Two or three of its offering had "wet" or "dry" in the write-up, but no handy place listed it and most of the coffees do not even list that. Anyone know why?

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to Acavia »

It's listed on most of the single origins I looked at...?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

atikhon

#3: Post by atikhon »

I have never had a problem finding the information, and I use their website regularly. Try scrolling down on the coffee page and finding the information for the specific lot.

From their MO, however, I would assume that if it for some reason doesn't explicitly state a processing method, it is most likely a washed coffee. I know they don't have the processing method on the label unless it is something other than washed.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

The Bookisa I recently ordered was clearly marked as natural. If I hadn't known, I'd I've taken it as a washed, since it's super clean (although sweet).
Jim Schulman

atikhon

#5: Post by atikhon replying to another_jim »

I today tasted the Wanja Kersa that Passenger just started offering. It has a similar character, being a dry with a clean, washed-like taste despite being a natural.

I recently was able to try the Bookkisa natural side by side with Passenger's parallel offering of a washed from Bookkisa. The "natural" flavors do come out more when tasted comparatively, but I agree on how clean and complex it is.

Acavia (original poster)

#6: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

I ordered Bookkisa recently. It stated it was "wet", one of the few coffee to state that. Wouldn't that be washed?

atikhon

#7: Post by atikhon replying to Acavia »

Yes, "wet process" and "washed" are synonymous.

archipelago

#8: Post by archipelago »

Not quite - "wet" just means pulped. Could include honey/pulped natural, semi-washed.

atikhon

#9: Post by atikhon replying to archipelago »

I think you're technically right, but more often than not, I seem them used synonymously by roasters. In this instance, I know Passenger uses it to mean washed. Another wet style of processing would be marked as such.

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

A great resource for trying to decode the marketing terms is https://christopherferan.com/2022/08/19 ... processes/

Chris' blog is packed full of valuable information, as is Lucia Solis' podcast