Who is currently roasting the fruitiest coffee right now?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cleftofvenus

#1: Post by cleftofvenus »

I'm looking for recommendations on what to order (that ships in the US) for the most flavorful, delicious coffee you've had recently. Bonus points for the fruitiest coffee currently on the market. Berry flavored specifically.

Are there roasters who have uniquely mailed down how to roast for this? Are there any carrying an exclusive variety that is particularly substantial?

I would also appreciate any brewing tips for getting the most out of a fruity or uniquely flavored coffee.
Thanks!

Jeff001

#2: Post by Jeff001 »

Happy Mug Ethiopia Halo Bariti, light roast natural process, very affordable ($11/12oz with $3 flat shipping), shipped and roasted basically the same day I ordered and arrived within 2 days.

Very strong blueberry flavor, not even just subtle notes, you can literally taste blueberries, I've never tasted that so clearly and I don't have a super refined palate either. I've paid double that price for half the quality. It was sweet, smooth, and fruity.

One thing to note if the low price gives you pause, i believe Happy Mug is strictly a roaster so they don't have to jack up prices to make up for cafe overhead...that's just my assumption based on what I could find about them because I couldn't understand the low price point.

I'm in between grinders at the moment, so had them grind it for drip for me, it was pretty coarse but that paired well with my moccamaster using homemade water at 75GH and 50KH

K7

#3: Post by K7 »

Check out Blue Bottle's current Kenyan single origin Kiambu Handege. Sorry, no berries and no filter brewing tips... but I pulled my first espresso shot today and we were like "WHAT IN THE WORLD..." from exploding lavender flavor...very unique. Very sweet also. Probably the best Americano I've had so far this year and I've had some really nice ones from various SO coffees. Flavors still linger in my mouth and head for hours since then. Wow, can't wait for tomorrow morning's pull!

I don't think this coffee is meant for espresso, but for those considering it, I pulled quite hot and fast: 15g in, 45g out, 24s. As usual for Kenyans, this coffee offers very little resistance despite being ground fine so don't expect a pretty pour. In fact, today's pull was the ugliest I've had for a while. :lol:

If you insist on berry flavors, check out Black Oak Roaster's Thirteenth Sun. Very fruity and floral.

dreadnatty08

#4: Post by dreadnatty08 »

I recommend browsing Black and White's current single origin offerings. They rotate very frequently so stuff comes and goes. If you want a solid regular option, then The Future might be for you.
https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/coll ... /frontpage

DaveB

#5: Post by DaveB »

I agree on B&W's SO offerings. I recently went through some stuff from the freezer, including Eduardo Esteve, Leticia Lopez, and Eduardo Campos Anaerobic. All fruit-forward, sweet, and roasted to perfection.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

cskorton

#6: Post by cskorton »

This was my favorite without being overly acidic. It expanded my mind on what coffee could be. It was an absolute explosion of blueberry when pulled as an espresso. Expensive though.

https://www.passengercoffee.com/produc ... 4459877456

nameisjoey

#7: Post by nameisjoey »

Another one here for B&W's SO offerings. All their SO's are usually pretty fruity and The Future blend is incredible. Definitely recommend!

Also, another user mentioned Halo Bariti from Happy Mug. Currently chipping away at a bat on the weekends. I've had it last year as well. Super blueberry flavor and smell. As drip or aeropress it's very sweet and fruity. In espresso it's definitely fruity and bright but when pulled correctly is balanced enough to enjoy but does have a tinge of that "funky" characteristic naturals can have.

Yum

#8: Post by Yum »

cleftofvenus wrote:I'm looking for recommendations on what to order (that ships in the US) for the most flavorful, delicious coffee you've had recently. Bonus points for the fruitiest coffee currently on the market. Berry flavored specifically.

Are there roasters who have uniquely mailed down how to roast for this? Are there any carrying an exclusive variety that is particularly substantial?

I would also appreciate any brewing tips for getting the most out of a fruity or uniquely flavored coffee.
Thanks!

TangyWasabi

#9: Post by TangyWasabi »

I can't not shout out Little Goat's Ethiopian from Guji. A total fruit bomb. If you place an order their house espresso, much like that Ethiopian is mouthwatering and remarkable. I always thought "darn, in DE all we have is Brandywine coffee roasters and I'm not a fan." Little Goat a fantastic discovery.

Plinyyounger

#10: Post by Plinyyounger »

Jeff001 wrote:Happy Mug Ethiopia Halo Bariti, light roast natural process, very affordable ($11/12oz with $3 flat shipping), shipped and roasted basically the same day I ordered and arrived within 2 days.

Very strong blueberry flavor, not even just subtle notes, you can literally taste blueberries, I've never tasted that so clearly and I don't have a super refined palate either. I've paid double that price for half the quality. It was sweet, smooth, and fruity.

One thing to note if the low price gives you pause, i believe Happy Mug is strictly a roaster so they don't have to jack up prices to make up for cafe overhead...that's just my assumption based on what I could find about them because I couldn't understand the low price point.

I'm in between grinders at the moment, so had them grind it for drip for me, it was pretty coarse but that paired well with my moccamaster using homemade water at 75GH and 50KH
I just got some Happy Mug on your recommendation. It was roasted on the 4th so it's not in prime yet. But I really really like it. Fantastic fruit forward flavor as you described. I'll definitely order again.
Family, coffee and fun.