Where to get fresh roasted coffee in DC metro area?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SushiCat

#1: Post by SushiCat »

Are there any good local roasters or shops that sell freshly roasted coffee in DC? Preferably near Farragut West metro station. Also, I've read that most roasts are good for espresso, but some regions should be avoided. If a blend isn't labeled as "espresso", what should I look for and what should I try to avoid?

SushiCat (original poster)

#2: Post by SushiCat (original poster) »

Update: Went to Greenberry's Coffee and Tea, where they had beans that were roasted about a month ago. Asked for an espresso. They gave me a shot with no crema. It didn't have any thickness to it and tasted like really strong dark roast coffee.
Next, I went to Filter Coffeehouse and Espresso Bar at Foggy Bottom. They had beans from Ceremony Coffee. Some roasted 3 weeks ago, but some blends were as fresh as 6 days, which I purchased. Tried their espresso, which had ok crema, drinkable, but was too sour for my taste. I'm just a beginner and I don't know what a good espresso should taste like, but I have a feeling that it wasn't properly made. My Quick Mill Silvano and OE Pharos are coming in tomorrow (my first espresso setup), and I'll try making my own. Still looking for places where I can try good espresso and purchase fresh beans in DC area.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Are there any good local roasters or shops that sell freshly roasted coffee in DC?
Here is a start: Baltimore-Washington DC Coffee Shops

In addition, Whole Foods' stores carry some local brands that are roast dated. The Nordico espresso from One Village Coffee http://www.onevillagecoffee.com/ has a very comforting taste and an amazing shelf life.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

SushiCat (original poster)

#4: Post by SushiCat (original poster) replying to erics »

Thanks. Can't believe I missed the DC coffee shops list. As for amazing shelf life, it is my understanding that I shouldn't make espresso with anything older than two weeks from roast date. If this is the case, then shelf life doesn't really matter.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

I agree with what you have said as that was my typical thinking also and I have been at this for some time. HOWEVER, give the Nordico a try and see if you reach the same conclusions that I did.

I am, MOST DEFINITELY, not a "taste garu" but I know what I like (who doesn't?).
Skål,

Eric S.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

Eric,

I'm moving to the Ft Meade area next week. I went through the list of places in the DC/Baltimore area but didn't see anything in the immediate area. Guess I may have to just go exploring. Thanks for providing a great list of places to try.

Cheers!
Merle

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

SushiCat wrote:Update: Went to Greenberry's Coffee and Tea, where they had beans that were roasted about a month ago. Asked for an espresso. They gave me a shot with no crema. It didn't have any thickness to it and tasted like really strong dark roast coffee.
Next, I went to Filter Coffeehouse and Espresso Bar at Foggy Bottom. They had beans from Ceremony Coffee. Some roasted 3 weeks ago, but some blends were as fresh as 6 days, which I purchased. Tried their espresso, which had ok crema, drinkable, but was too sour for my taste. I'm just a beginner and I don't know what a good espresso should taste like, but I have a feeling that it wasn't properly made. My Quick Mill Silvano and OE Pharos are coming in tomorrow (my first espresso setup), and I'll try making my own. Still looking for places where I can try good espresso and purchase fresh beans in DC area.
I followed EricS tip for the Whole Foods Market and found a bag of MesCo blend. Purchased May 3, roasted April 24. It made a nice pourover for my 4 conference days.

If you want a developed espresso profile, you might seek out a La Colombe shop. I tried their workshop Brazil SOE but I noticed they have a more traditional or darker roasted selection as well. Otherwise the three shops I tried, Peregrine, Filter and Chinatown do nice work in the 3rd wave sense.

The ones I wish I had tried are Wybar (I think they focus on PTs coffee) I only had a nice pourover, and Coffee Bar (?) which had Verve and another notable roaster on hand. Both are close to Farragut West

[EDIT: Thanks, Eric, corrected to The Wydown - see below.]
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Thanks for providing a great list of places to try.
You are welcome. Yes, I started the list as I have a good source for "inside info" but the contributors to that thread have helped immensely.

It is, most definitely, not a "ratings list" as should be evident.
Skål,

Eric S.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

The ones I wish I had tried are Wybar . . .
Perhaps you mean Wydown - http://www.thewydown.com/ . They definitely make the grade.
Skål,

Eric S.

aecletec

#10: Post by aecletec »

SushiCat wrote:Thanks. Can't believe I missed the DC coffee shops list. As for amazing shelf life, it is my understanding that I shouldn't make espresso with anything older than two weeks from roast date. If this is the case, then shelf life doesn't really matter.
This is a general guideline and not a rule set in stone. Many coffees/roasts won't be at their best after two weeks but by no means all.