Where to buy Kona while in Kona

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

We are vacationing in Waikoloa village and open to any suggestions where to pick up Kona beans or prepared Kona coffee. Obviously while in Kona almost all coffee is trying to capitalize on the name and it's not all created equal. The one place I really like that I've been to years ago is Hula Daddy, but it's a long drive from where we are staying. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

Yes...Hula Daddy!!!!

It's not that long a drive from Waikoloa Village, maybe 20 minutes. It's worth 20 minutes...you'll thank me in the end. Also Greenwell...It's past Kona to the south. It's one of the original Kona coffee plantations.

Plus, if you're headed to Volcanoes National Park, there is a place that sells Ka'u off Hwy 11, worth buying a few bags there.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

bonjing

#3: Post by bonjing »

Ka'u is a nice drive out and walking the farm, again if still available, is nice. Also there are a few black sand beaches along the drive. If you make it out there and the self tour is available look at the ground and find the tickle plants or tickle me not plants very cool. Disclaimer at the time they did not have any "do not touch" signs placed around the farm.

We like going to ucc coffee and got a bag with our picture on it. It's part of the roast master tour. But it's just a bag of pre ground coffee. We were fortunate enough that we didn't have to take the tour, although we did try to register, but they did allow us to take a picture and have "our own label".

Buddahs Cup. We'll worth the drive up and if the goat is still alive, freaked me out, but was very friendly like a dog. The views are amazing if they still let you walk the grounds. Make sure you have an suv or a better car than a Cadillac, (that's all they had left when we went) the road will make you think twice.

It's been a few years since we've been so things may have changed especially roads.

Whether their coffee is good will be up to you, but no matter where we went they were always happy to sample.

Edit to add:

I basically used the previous kona coffee festival winners list to figure out where we wanted to go. Along with that while getting around the island we also drove by random coffee farms that we wanted to go to but we're closed at the time.

And while you're out there hit up chubbys diner in the bowling alley, one of the best oxtail soups I've had but trying to find the driveway/entrance is maddening. Broke da Mouth grindz, food is good and the peppah watah is amazing, I'm so happy I found their recipe online. And for a sweet treat big island candies in Hilo.

iploya (original poster)

#4: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies! We'll check out some of those other places and make time to go back to Hula Daddy. HD was my go to coffee back in the day whenever I felt like splurging and before I got so much into espresso and discovered I didn't need to spend $60/lb. We did the tour about 8 years ago and it was memorable.

(We drove up the road about 10 miles from hotel today and found a nice shop that had a great vibe and ambiance but didn't quite measure up to my high standards on the drinks.)

(Edit, our premium rental car special also turned out to be either a Chrysler or Cadillac. An unusual choice for a rental. I turned it down in favor of a more practical and much more fuel efficient Altima.)

BaristaBob

#5: Post by BaristaBob replying to iploya »

Just love the Big Island. We stay mostly at the Hilton King's Land resort. Also a nice Airbnb in Waimea so we can eat at Village Burger and have great coffee at the Waimea Coffee Company.

bonjing

#6: Post by bonjing »

Another one to try might be the kona coffee and tea.

Our last trip there I think was around 18' our premium was between a bmw 3 series convertible and the Cadillac cts nothing was left but jeeps. I like having a trunk (and a/c) since we do a lot of shopping when we're out there especially Honolulu. But when I saw how low those cars were I begged them to let me take one of the jeeps and I'll pay whatever they wanted no dice.

iploya (original poster)

#7: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Made it back to Hula Daddy. Skipped the $35/head tour (including kids 7 and up) to save cash for their beans, which are now on the order of $100/pound. I enjoyed making some of that with my Aergrind and V60 travel kit. I wanted to go up the road to some of the other places mentioned, or Smith Farms, but we arrived too late in the day.

The Waimea coffee shop was nice to visit, lots going for it in terms of location and atmosphere, and very pleasant baristas. Just not up to my standards for espresso drinks as compared with some of the specialty shops I've been to other destinations.

We tried the "100% Kona" at the hotel one day just out of laziness. It was very much what you would expect from hotel or motel coffee. If I were the mayor I would pass an ordinance that required certain minimum standards for using the phrase "100% Kona" in association with local coffee sales.

From Hula Daddy I brought home a medium/dark roast I am experimenting with as espresso. Using 14g shots to try and make it last a bit longer.

bonjing

#8: Post by bonjing »

The hotel coffee, was it from Waikoloa Coffee stores/stands?

Edit:

If it was we thought the coffee (non espresso) was decent, better than Starbucks and ok for a quick pick me up in the morning. Last time we were there they were starting an Island Vintage Coffee shop. We both like the coffee from there. But when on the big island Waikoloa was a wake up, the coffee adventure was the fun.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

iploya wrote:We tried the "100% Kona" at the hotel one day just out of laziness. It was very much what you would expect from hotel or motel coffee. If I were the mayor I would pass an ordinance that required certain minimum standards for using the phrase "100% Kona" in association with local coffee sales.
For years I was curious about Kona. I knew it was expensive. The stuff I saw for sale in little shops on the Big Island looked overroasted to me and I never bought any of that. The one time in my life I tried Kona I bought it from a well respected roaster on the mainland. I only purchased 4oz (for $40). I was hopeful for some sort of Nirvana $160/lb coffee experience and willing to settle for several good but overpriced cups. But instead I never got anything that wasn't sink-worthy. It was very disappointing.

I'm no longer curious about Kona.

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

It's true, you need to know what you're looking for when in Hawaii. Specific to Kona coffee I believe there is an official ordinance that states the trees must be grown within 20 miles of the city, north, south, and east. Don't quote me on that, but it's something close. However, it doesn't keep retail sellers from making blends with 100% Kona and then in the small print "blended with other rubbish".
As for taste, it's like all coffees, to each his own! I find certain Kona's easy to extract, smooth, low acidity, and enjoyable for my taste. People say the same for Jamaica Blue Mountain, or the Lemur poop beans. It's more hype than substance.

Now to add a little value to this post...
Here was my last recipe for Hula Daddy - High Mountain Mele Select
19g in
38g out
33-35 sec.
200 F
Notes: nutty, chocolatey, low acidity, 8 days post roast.