What's your favourite cultivar - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
kylekoi55

#21: Post by kylekoi55 »

GC7 wrote:I assume the farmers go to lengths to preserve the pink pigmented skins because the resulting crop of pink cherries has characteristics they want in the coffee bean. I therefore assume that chemical end products of pathways associated with those characteristics are tightly linked to the pigment genes. Chance would dictate recombination and separation of the desired characteristics if a red or yellow chromosome was introduced. It's testable but would take time. It is, however, possible and perhaps more probable that the pink recessive marker is a way to mark complete carryover of the genome from both parents.
Yes, it's impossible to know if there is significant linkage between pink color and flavor attributes without gene mapping. Your theory sounds nice but it's also possible the pink color and flavor attributes are independent of each other (possibly to varying degrees). Afaik and given the recent "discovery" of Pink Bourbon, nobody has really even performed test crosses to see what happens. So for now it's all just conjecture.

slow1911s

#22: Post by slow1911s »

My local roaster was doing a light roast of Costa Rica Jaguar Honey from the San Diego mill that became our favorite. Lovely warm caramel/toffee notes that made excellent milk drinks.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to slow1911s »

Jaguar seems to be a blend of catuai and caturra. Catuai itself is a caturra and mondo nova cross (and mondo nova is a typica/bourbon cross). So there isn't a lot of genetic differences from catuai to caturra. Jaguar doesn't seem to be a cultivar in itself but rather two separate cultivars mixed together and branded as Costa Rica Tarrazu Jaguar. It's interesting to know because you might find you enjoy catuai, caturra or mondo nova just as much or perhaps more. Honeys of course have their own characterics and processing does play a huge role in what makes it in your cup. You may have a favourite honey but prefer a differt coffee for washed and still prefer another for a different roast level. Coffee is not a single dimention so we do need to consider the other factors.

Chert

#24: Post by Chert »

Andrew,

have you come across jade centennial mentioned here? --> Mexico Chiapas CJ 1273

It has been a very nice coffee, the two lots I bought.
I support Artisan Roasterscope.

pcofftenyo

#25: Post by pcofftenyo »

Am pretty interested in this discussion. It's not a wholly new new thought topic for me but one I'm trying to learn more about. I need to work thru the pile of greens I've got before I head down this rabbit hole further.

Some of my favorites have been Pacamaras (crossed Paca's) because of their sweetness, balanced flavors, and body, particularly when naturally processed. Never had either of them washed.

Mostly drink Cataui / Castillio or Ethiopia Landrace.

The nuance of high-grade washed Kenyan's/Yirgs is a little lost on me TBH.

I did have an excellent Pink Bourbon from Genuine Origin at 2019's Barista Championship. I preferred it to the Geisha's there but not the 2004 Hacienda La Esmeralda Geisha.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Andrew,

have you come across jade centennial mentioned here? --> Mexico Chiapas CJ 1273

It has been a very nice coffee, the two lots I bought.
it might be an heirloom (Ethiopian) or an heirloom crossed with something else. as per the article you linked to it has a large long bean size with "old bourbon" shape (I'm not sure what an old bourbon shape is) and the plant is described like a catuai specifically citing its green new growth which comes from catuai bourbon's heritage. Since there are a lot of bourbon types with green new leaves it makes me think the other characteristics were of catuai specifically the dwarf characteristics inherited by caturra. There have been a few introduced Ethiopian crossbreeds with other varieties (such as caturra+landrace) for greater diversity and this may be one of those, or it may be a natural mutation/cross of an Ethiopian that people have lost trace of.

I couldn't find a good picture that compares green beans but here is a roasted bean comparison of different varieties.

the farmer in the article compares it to a maragogipe, which is a large size typica. the author of the article says it looks like a gesha or java so the two comparisons could be based on their experience (maybe the farmer has never seen a gesha). if you look at the picture above geshas are large like maragogipe (the picture, unfortunately, looks like it has a peaberry for the panama gesha so that sort of throws it off) but the Colombian gesha and maragogipe look very similar (according to the picture above). one way to identify if it's a maragogipe is if it has bronze new leaves, Gesha may have bronze new growth but the dominant trait of new growth as bronze in color is a very typica characteristic. Since this plant is green new growth and no mention of bronze it means it's not a maragogipe (and probably not a gesha).

the picture also shows Caturra which is a dwarf bourbon, the beans are small and round contrasted with gesha/maragogipe as large and long (there's even a catuai also small and round). The farmer compares it to the plant looking like a Catuai and I assume it means it's small like catuai and maragogipe is not small. The dwarf characteristic (which I am inferring based on it looking like a catuai) and green new growth suggest it is a connected to a bourbon dwarf like a caturra, but the large long bean size can be like other Ethiopian such as Java, USDA, Gesha, Abyssinia and others. So just guessing I would say it is a cross between an Ethiopian and a caturra (or some other bourbon dwarf) something like H3. H3 fits quite well but it's closely guarded so it's probably not H3 but it could easily be a natural cross of something similar to H3.

Chert

#27: Post by Chert »

I like this thread. This should keep it alive.

The Masterpieces of Daterra feature some uncommon coffees. Some they trace to Ethiopian roots.
There's Aramosa, Laurina too was included in the sale they did last year. And this year they include one they call Datopa, too

Maybe new favorite material.
I support Artisan Roasterscope.