What's WOWing you right now (coffees, roasters) - Page 9

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Lfs70

#81: Post by Lfs70 »

zero610 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm browsing their website now. Seems like this place works a little different than just going to the online store and buying a bag of coffee. Looks like you have to sign up and you can only buy coffee on their "dropstore" days...is that right?
You do have to sign up and then they notify you when the dropstore is open. The dropstore opens on friday and usually stays open for @48 hrs, it is worth the trouble if you're looking for something different.
Thank you
Leonard Shafer

zero610

#82: Post by zero610 »

BaristaBob wrote:You might give Passenger a try. They are known for lighter roast. I recently finished a bag of their MonteCarlos Gesha and it was mind blowing!
Thanks. Passenger is on my go to list. I've also had some excellent coffee from there before as well. Don't think I've tried MonteCarlos Gesha though. Sounds like I should give it a try. Thanks!

jdrobison

#83: Post by jdrobison »

Anyone having trouble with Peregrine Wote Konga Natural and pour overs? Regardless of device or technique, it always chokes up. None of my other coffees are doing this - I know it's not a grinder issue - but this one is stalling every single time. I can grind super coarse (not so tasty) and it still happens.

It's coming out great on espresso, BTW!

HRace

#84: Post by HRace »

BaristaBob wrote:You might give Passenger a try. They are known for lighter roast. I recently finished a bag of their MonteCarlos Gesha and it was mind blowing!
Any chance you were making pour overs or drip? I've been looking to try something from Passenger and this looks like a solid recommendation. Thanks.

MB

#85: Post by MB »

jdrobison wrote:Anyone having trouble with Peregrine Wote Konga Natural and pour overs? Regardless of device or technique, it always chokes up. None of my other coffees are doing this - I know it's not a grinder issue - but this one is stalling every single time. I can grind super coarse (not so tasty) and it still happens.

It's coming out great on espresso, BTW!
If you are using the Niche for grinding the pour overs, try this experiment at your regular setting: slowly feed the beans into the grinder while it's running, like very slowly.
I found this easier to do with a plastic V60 on top and holding the button with a chopstick. Anyway, it makes a narrower particle spread and I'd be interested to see if it works with the Wote Konga. I've ordered some and will be trying pour overs as well, but with a Levercraft Ultra with HU burrs. I usually push just one side of the feed/bellows contraption repeatedly to feed the beans slower and get better cups for my tastes (less astringent with more distinct flavors).
LMWDP #472

BaristaBob

#86: Post by BaristaBob »

HRace wrote:Any chance you were making pour overs or drip? I've been looking to try something from Passenger and this looks like a solid recommendation. Thanks.
No, espressos and flat whites. But I was pulling long and fast...15g in, 40 to 50g out in 20 sec. So a "pour over" in a sense?! Actually it's called a Turbo shot.
I would give the folks at Passenger a call, their baristas are knowledgeable and will definitely be able to answer your questions.

Enjoy!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

jdrobison

#87: Post by jdrobison »

MB wrote:If you are using the Niche for grinding the pour overs, try this experiment at your regular setting: slowly feed the beans into the grinder while it's running, like very slowly.
I found this easier to do with a plastic V60 on top and holding the button with a chopstick. Anyway, it makes a narrower particle spread and I'd be interested to see if it works with the Wote Konga. I've ordered some and will be trying pour overs as well, but with a Levercraft Ultra with HU burrs. I usually push just one side of the feed/bellows contraption repeatedly to feed the beans slower and get better cups for my tastes (less astringent with more distinct flavors).
Interesting. I grind for pour over with a V2 Ode so even easier to slow feed than a Niche. I'll give it a try.

jdrobison

#88: Post by jdrobison »

Well, not much luck with the slow feed grinding. Initially the flow rate was better than previous but then slowed gradually. By 3:30, there was still 50ml left to draw down - I pulled it off and let the last 50ml empty, which took 1:30. And what I did have from the 3:30 was quite astringent.

I've had plenty of coffees that require a bit coarser grind but never anything like this one. Crazy! Nobody else experiencing this?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#89: Post by jbviau »

^^^ What's your theory? More fines due to high density? If so, try sieving first with whatever you have on hand to separate out fines and then see what happens. I have this coffee and haven't experienced your issue (brewing lazy on a Clever dripper). I do lightly sieve just because the metal grounds cup I use with the Fuji has a built-in sieve.

p.s. edited for typos (oops).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jdrobison

#90: Post by jdrobison »

Good to hear. Ya... I think this one produces so many fines. It's about as high altitude as they get - though I've brewed plenty of Yirgacheffe over the years - and maybe a product of the density. I really want to enjoy this one so I do think my only option is to sieve.