What's WOWing you right now (coffees, roasters) - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#71: Post by spressomon »

^^^ Its not an over the top fermented fruit bomb type of Ethiopian, but rather a more classic blueberry pie up front, then the peanut comes in with a nice bright floral finish. I've been a fan of Wote Konga washing station for a long time, but they're just not around anymore like they used to be. Feel lucky to have, very recently, found Peregrine...while I was searching for Wote Konga!

Their Papua New Guinea is also very nice. Its a little trickier to pull to get the banana flavor but its there for sure when pulled properly and quite enjoyable too. Whereas, the WK has a larger bullseye... for me anyway :)

They're both very nice as straight espresso and equally tasty in a small 150ml cappuccino/flat white. Otherwise more milk will cloud/drown the nice flavors of both beans.
No Espresso = Depresso

jbviau
Supporter ★

#72: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Thanks. This would be for filter, as I rarely do espresso at home.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

skittles_s

#73: Post by skittles_s »

zeops wrote:I am probably doing something wrong, or my palate is demented, but I am thoroughly enjoying the Klatch Guji Anaerobic.
So.... if anyone whats to rid their pantry, freezer of the stinker, please send me a PM and I'll email you a prepaid shipping label.
Two days too late! I composted what I had left (better part of a pound) - I just couldn't imagine wanting to drink the rest. Don't think worse of me! :|

cmin

#74: Post by cmin replying to skittles_s »

That coffee left me with PTSD :x

Was about to order some more coffee and when I looked at Klatch I had a flashback hahaha :lol:

Mbb

#75: Post by Mbb »

I got a box of 4oz of several different coffees roasted from Bones coffee for Christmas.
I think it had Guatemalan, Costa Rican, Ethiopian and Sumatran.

I expected I'd like the central Americans because that's my go-to. I was surprised the Ethiopian was just as good.

I must say, they were all OK. Supposed to be light roasted. Well I'd call two of them pretty medium and one of them really light. I don't know about wowing..... But I opened the bag of Sumatra this morning..... The beans are dark and oily.... I'm thinking that's not my idea of light. But regardless this was the darkest roasted coffee I think I've ever had from a professional roaster..... The beans were exuding oil. Now why does that matter.... Because it didn't taste nearly that dark. instead it was very drinkable too. Go figure.

BaristaBob

#76: Post by BaristaBob »

Just a shout out for Five Senses Coffee and their Hi Fidelity blend. My daughter and her husband who live in Sydney were at one of their cafes in Perth, (I think their main roasting location is Melbourne), sent me a bag over Christmas. It's a well developed medium roast with a smooth caramel note, honey sweetness, with a chocolate finish...what's not to like. A unique blend of washed Tanzania and washed Guatemala.

My bag is going quick! :D
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

zero610

#77: Post by zero610 »

Looking for some suggestions on light roast and/or funky coffee roasters in the US. I've had a few not great coffees lately so any suggestions for something excellent would be greatly appreciated. Funky, fruity, light roasts are preferred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lfs70

#78: Post by Lfs70 »

zero610 wrote:Looking for some suggestions on light roast and/or funky coffee roasters in the US. I've had a few not great coffees lately so any suggestions for something excellent would be greatly appreciated. Funky, fruity, light roasts are preferred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Luminous coffee has a nice rotating selection of beans that I enjoy when I feel like having something a bit different than my usual classic style roasts.
Loveluminous.coffee

zero610

#79: Post by zero610 replying to Lfs70 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm browsing their website now. Seems like this place works a little different than just going to the online store and buying a bag of coffee. Looks like you have to sign up and you can only buy coffee on their "dropstore" days...is that right?

BaristaBob

#80: Post by BaristaBob »

zero610 wrote:Looking for some suggestions on light roast and/or funky coffee roasters in the US. I've had a few not great coffees lately so any suggestions for something excellent would be greatly appreciated. Funky, fruity, light roasts are preferred. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You might give Passenger a try. They are known for lighter roast. I recently finished a bag of their MonteCarlos Gesha and it was mind blowing!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"