What's WOWing you right now (coffees, roasters) - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
zambeans

#51: Post by zambeans »

The dark color is pretty typical of Anaerobic coffees in my experience. More intensely processed coffees like this one seem to get dark much more quickly in the roaster.

Having bought this coffee roasted and green from Klatch, I would say they didn't develop more than 1:20 MAX even though it looks that dark. I've been dropping it with anywhere from :50 to 1:05 development. If I go to 1:20, it will end up showing oils after a few days. I would definitely say it gets some darker notes nonetheless.

It's definitely a polarizing coffee, but it has switched a few people from dark roast only into a broader roast spectrum. Kind of makes sense though, people who like dark intense bitter might also like the funk of this Anaerobic. I love it! But I'm not very picky, as long as it's fresh :)

radioradio

#52: Post by radioradio »

I'm working through my second bag of Bird Rock Roaster's BORU BATAK. It's a Sumatra wet hull process and wow is it tickling my taste buds. I got my first bag months ago through Trade but this latest one I bought direct. I really enjoy this coffee. The sweet tobacco notes are very pleasing to my palate. There's a distinct sweetness with a very pleasing acidity. Just really yummy.
Brewing with a V60 using the Hoffman recipe. 21/350g with 212F water. Using Third Wave Water, classic profile.

Milligan

#53: Post by Milligan »

I order a few things from B&W from time to time and have broadly enjoyed their coffees. One stuck out to me recently though. The ALS coffee they have on offer is a very good blend. I'm used to SO so this one has been a really enjoyable departure for me. It has blueberry top notes with milk chocolate undertones. When dialed in correctly for pour over it is delicious. I've found the 40/60 method with 94C brew temp to be pretty spot on in a V60. I'm on a Fellow Ode with SSP burrs. Set to 1 just off chirp, I'm using a 6 grind. Yummy! Tried the Hoff V60 method and it wasn't as pleasant on this one.

Ken5
Supporter ★

#54: Post by Ken5 »

Been thinking of ordering the ENDALS from b&w since I really loved it last year! Notes are the same, though I noticed the beans are different. Glad to hear it is good this year. I will order some before the end of the month.

TomC
Team HB

#55: Post by TomC »

I was fortunate to sample 4 small brews of this incredible Panamanian washed Geisha that went for $900 a pound yesterday. Pretty amazing coffee. It was an auction lot that took 1st place Best of Panama for washed Geisha.

It was definitely a "wow". Not quite a 96 point coffee, but IMO easily a 92, 93.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

kris772
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by kris772 »

Finally cleaned out the freezer. Finally finished the RB BJ.(yes, I'm really not sure I want to dignify that with spelling out the name.. there's a "bird" in there somewhere...). There was a tiny bit of cimarron courthouse intentionally left so I could remind myself how great it is. Was... Just ordered a kg. And, yet again, reminding myself NOT to compromise on beans.

I had had lattes at the local Nero chain before and not liked them, but got one yesterday, with a biscotti, and it was superb. Maybe they have learned something in the interim. Or maybe just different store/barrista.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

Milligan

#57: Post by Milligan »

TomC wrote:image

I was fortunate to sample 4 small brews of this incredible Panamanian washed Geisha that went for $900 a pound yesterday. Pretty amazing coffee. It was an auction lot that took 1st place Best of Panama for washed Geisha.

It was definitely a "wow". Not quite a 96 point coffee, but IMO easily a 92, 93.
Was that the one they were pitching for $225 per 4oz? I think I got an email about that. I'd be afraid to brew it :shock:

TomC
Team HB

#58: Post by TomC »

Yes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

stangman

#59: Post by stangman »

So I had a chance to attend the DMV Chocolate and Coffee Festival on Saturday (DMV is short for D.C., Maryland, and Virginia) hosted at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA.

Needless to say, they had multiple roasters onsite offering some samples of their finest.
https://www.dmvchocolateandcoffee.com/

Cafe Kreyol out of Manassas, VA was offering this Bolivia Geisha...I'm in love :)
https://cafekreyol.com/

Milligan

#60: Post by Milligan »

I had several samples of Cafe Kreyol at Coffee Fest Chicago. All excellent. Great group of folks there.