What US roasters would sell coffee like Tim Wendelboe - also, how is Nordic Post to USA? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia (original poster)

#11: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

walr00s wrote:I ordered the Naciemiento Pink Bourbon from Tim Wendelboe on April 14th and received it ~2 weeks later...Frankly I wouldn't order again though. The coffee had a funky flavor that really just never went away over time the way it does with many other light roasts and I have to wonder if it was due to handling during shipping (lack of temp control mainly).
Yours might have been harmed because I got the same coffee and it was good and I have thrown away coffees with funky taste before as I cannot stand them, and generally do not care for coffees grown in Americas as much as African coffee. So if good to me, yours might have been tainted somehow.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by walr00s » replying to Acavia »

Yeah, given TW's reputation and the fact that I generally enjoy coffees like that Pink Bourbon, I figured the most likely culprit was transport. I think you mentioned that you chose DHL shipping? I might pony up for that at some point in the future.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Acavia (original poster)

#13: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

walr00s wrote:Yeah, given TW's reputation and the fact that I generally enjoy coffees like that Pink Bourbon, I figured the most likely culprit was transport. I think you mentioned that you chose DHL shipping?
Yes I choose DHL. I ordered it on a Monday evening or Tuesday morning, I forgot which, and had it Friday. I think it cost around $25 US and the Norwegian Postage would have been $7 or so.

Acavia (original poster)

#14: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

How would others compare George Howell coffee to Wendelboe? I have never had it. Is it close to Wendelboe or is it more traditional coffee? The chance of it being more traditional is my concern.

Ora

#15: Post by Ora »

i tried 2 bags from tim wendelboe in january i think it was. i thought it was very ordinary. not bad, but not very exciting in cup. he also sends 1+ year old coffee sometimes. he claims he has good preservation methods so its still as good as when fresh but i dont know. my sister brought some coffee to me from passanger and i thought it was much more interesting in flavor and sweetness.

i havent tried myself, but proud mary roasters seems like they have very well selected coffees. Theyre on the expensive side though.

clc12rock

#16: Post by clc12rock »

Nordic Post update: My April subscription shipped out last Tuesday from CPH and just arrived in Raleigh, NC today, so took about 4-5 biz days to get here.

dfraser

#17: Post by dfraser »

I've been getting Kaffebox coffee subscription for a while, takes 2-3 weeks from Norway to Toronto. Haven't had any problem with freshness, coffee is all well packaged and roasted just before shipping.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Nate42

#18: Post by Nate42 »

Acavia wrote:How would others compare George Howell coffee to Wendelboe? I have never had it. Is it close to Wendelboe or is it more traditional coffee? The chance of it being more traditional is my concern.
George Howell is one of the best in the business and was championing light roasts before it was cool. He also invented the frappuccino but that was a long time ago and we forgive him. Anyway GH has a larger range of coffee available at any given time than a smaller shop like Wendelboe, and a wider range of roast levels. It's all good imho, but some offerings do skew towards what you would probably call traditional. The single estate coffees are all very high quality, lightly roasted with a goal of maximizing the beans unique potential and minimizing bitterness. Maybe not quite as light as Wendelboe but they are aiming for similar goals.

Eiern

#19: Post by Eiern »

I will add two more notes:

Wendelboe's beans are finely tuned for our water here in Oslo where they do QC and also serve it at their bar. When I brew his beans, the very same bag or batch I started on at home, in other cities here in Norway I get very different results because of the different water. I have been bringing Oslo-water in big camping containers so I don't have to be let down when away. Some bottled water I've bought was bad too.

Secondly I assume you guys have both good equipment and technique in addition to water, and therefore have the possibility to get good results and fully extract it. I will say that with a grinder that's not good, or other ways to poorly extract this stuff, results are not great.

So I don't always blindly recommend his beans to everyone, and can understand that not everybody will enjoy them. They are not the easiest to get the most out of, and I had problems with thin and sour brews way back in the days wanting something a little more developed to help me along.

jpetrow

#20: Post by jpetrow »

Eiern wrote:I will add two more notes:

Wendelboe's beans are finely tuned for our water here in Oslo where they do QC and also serve it at their bar.
I can verify this. For one reason or another TW coffee seems to be more dependent on the type of water used for brewing. I dont't think it's a water quality issue but more related to the type of water.

Other quality nordic roasters like Coffee Collective or Good Life Coffee seem to be less affected by this or it might be that their local water is just more similar to what we have at home.