What to do with 8 grams of beans left over?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

Came to the end of a bag of really great beans and I have 8 grams left.

Generally, I'll mix the tails of one bag with whatever is coming next. But there are times that this doesn't work. In this case, I have some really great (and pricey) beans left. But they need a really fine grind. Unfortunately, the beans I just got two bags of, need a really coarse grind and very different extraction. So I don't think combining them is going to work out.

Kind of silly, but dang, what to do? :?

Denis

#2: Post by Denis »

Cupping. You find the recipe.on youtube of Tim wendelboe.
8 g coffee with x15 quantity water.

mathof

#3: Post by mathof »

nuketopia wrote:Came to the end of a bag of really great beans and I have 8 grams left.

Generally, I'll mix the tails of one bag with whatever is coming next. But there are times that this doesn't work. In this case, I have some really great (and pricey) beans left. But they need a really fine grind. Unfortunately, the beans I just got two bags of, need a really coarse grind and very different extraction. So I don't think combining them is going to work out.

Kind of silly, but dang, what to do? :?
Use a single basket.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

Denis wrote:Cupping. You find the recipe.on youtube of Tim wendelboe.
8 g coffee with x15 quantity water.
Another vote for this
LMWDP #748

U2jewel

#5: Post by U2jewel »

I make cocktails with them. 5g of this.. 7g of that.. whenever I scrape together about 20g in total, I do pour-over with it.
Sometimes it's mehh.. but quite often you can be pleasantly surprised. I think part of it is getting away from monotony of familiar tastes.

V60 is far more forgiving than trying to nail an 8g single shot, assuming you usually pull doubles..

nuketopia (original poster)

#6: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Yeah, if I had dialed in already, I'd try a 8g shot. It would take a couple of tries to dial in a single, so no go. :lol:

tag1260

#7: Post by tag1260 »

I just take and mix with enough whatever comes next to make a dose. Some of my best flavors have been screwed up blends like this. Even with the difference in the next origin it might surprise you. I wouldn't mix them in an entire bag though. Whatcha got to lose?

fdehlvi

#8: Post by fdehlvi »

How about an inverted aero press or another filtered immersion brewing method? Easier to drink than cupping but the same idea that your brewing method is largely independent of the dose / yield

mathof

#9: Post by mathof »

nuketopia wrote:Yeah, if I had dialed in already, I'd try a 8g shot. It would take a couple of tries to dial in a single, so no go. :lol:
I alternate regularly between 7g singles using a La Strada 7g basket and doubles using a VST 15g one, using 7g in the former and 15g in the latter. I know from experience that the single requires a grind one tick finer on my Kafatek Flat. As a result, once I've dialled in the single or the double, I don't need to dial in the other.

(If I recall correctly, Denis says (or said) that one tick on the Flat is equivalent to two ticks on the Conical.)

grog

#10: Post by grog »

What are you typically dosing your doubles at?
LMWDP #514