What kind of coffee should I choose (if I'm sensitive to coffee)?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Elin

#1: Post by Elin »

Hey guys, I'm new here. I asked this question on quora & someone told me to ask my question here...

I love drinking coffee, specially in the morning before going to uni, & in the evening after coming home & relaxing.
But I still haven't found my type!

I tried a type of coffee many years ago & that was my favorite. It was full bodied, but not acidic. It had chocolaty/cocoa-like taste, or maybe nutty! And a bit bitter, but not too much.
Idk what it was, but I still haven't found anything like that.

I guess I'm sensitive to coffee. Specially in the morning. I try to drink a cup of coffee, but then my stomach starts feeling weird.

Generally,after drinking coffee, I start feeling an annoying kind of warmness in my stomach. My stomach gets kinda watery, as if I have drunk 3 glasses of water. Yet it feels very empty (from food). Just like how we wake up in the morning, or when we get very hungry. & sometimes I can hear sounds, specially if I also have stress at that time. It gets awkward when I'm sitting in a classroom.

& "sometimes" it can give me depression or stress, but not always. This usually happens when I drink coffee at coffee shops (espresso based ones I guess).

Idk if it's due to acidity or caffeine. Cuz drinking cola and other fizzy drinks, doesn't give me any of those symptoms. (Though drinking them with empty stomach or without ice cubes can kinda be unpleasant).

& about blends I've tried ;

nestle blend 43, it was ok, but still not good.

Carte noire decaf, (it had a golden color instant coffee granoles) & it was awful. It had a sour citrusy taste that seemed like lime juice coffee! The worst taste ever! Hated it! I guess it's from blonde roast coffee. right?

Molinari (espresso I guess), gave me depression and anxiety for a few hours. Very strong for me.

Turkish coffee, not like others, but I didn't like the taste!

dark roast Espresso (I got it from a store, it doesn't have a brand name), still made my stomach weird and the way I explained.

A nameless french roast (lighter than espresso), it was better than the others, but still not that good.

Starbucks house blend (medium roast), had a good taste, but still gave me stomach problem. And it wasn't full bodied.

I guess the only type of coffee I've tried without having problem was cappuccino (of any brand). & "sometimes" mocha.
But they're hard to make when I'm in a hurry, like in the morning. & I also have to buy expensive coffee machines to make those, but I can't.

What do I do? Which roast/brand/blend should I buy?

Advertisement
CoffeeBar

#2: Post by CoffeeBar »

Elin wrote:I guess I'm sensitive to coffee. Specially in the morning. I try to drink a cup of coffee, but then my stomach starts feeling weird.

& "sometimes" it can give me depression or stress, but not always. This usually happens when I drink coffee at coffee shops (espresso based ones I guess).

Idk if it's due to acidity or caffeine. Cuz drinking cola and other fizzy drinks, doesn't give me any of those symptoms. (Though drinking them with empty stomach or without ice cubes can kinda be unpleasant).
Hi, According to many famous Nutritionist's opinions. Suggest people only drink black coffee after your breakfast and after 10am to avoid depression, due to the coffee rise up your body's cortisol if you drink coffee in the early morning without having breakfast or too early, say before 10am.

Also, according the book eat according to your blood type ( http://www.dadamo.com/ ) suggest those who are blood in type O to avoid coffee. For more information please read this book. :D

Last, Try Organic Coffee only and see how. Thank you

Elin (original poster)

#3: Post by Elin (original poster) »

Thanks alot!!!

Btw, Yep, I'm actually a type O! (How did you know that?! :D )

CoffeeBar

#4: Post by CoffeeBar replying to Elin »

You're most welcome. Because I am passion for Nutrition, so My guess you blood type most likely would be type O.
My advice ( For healthy sake ) eat well through more Raw and Organic foods, supplements, drink 8 cups clear purify water daily, exercise regularly in High intensity form, avoid all form of stress( or at least learn how to manage your stress level ) avoid accident & sleep well at least 8 hour in deep sleep my mean. :lol:

Elin (original poster)

#5: Post by Elin (original poster) »

Any other suggestions?

Nick Name

#6: Post by Nick Name »

Low quality coffee beans tend to have various defects (beans that have been picked raw, beans that have been picked too late, mold, you name the defects, they've got them...). I'm not familiar with most of the coffees you have tried, but to me they sound like not the best quality available. Most coffee sold are low quality. You could try some high quality roasters some of their best single origins and fresh roasts and see what that does to you.

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

Nick Name wrote:Low quality coffee beans tend to have various defects (beans that have been picked raw....
All coffee is picked "raw". It's not a defect either.
CoffeeBar wrote:You're most welcome. Because I am passion for Nutrition, so My guess you blood type most likely would be type O.
My advice ( For healthy sake ) eat well through more Raw and Organic foods, supplements, drink 8 cups clear purify water daily, exercise regularly in High intensity form, avoid all form of stress( or at least learn how to manage your stress level ) avoid accident & sleep well at least 8 hour in deep sleep my mean. :lol:
Most health claims of organic foods as being more nutritious or "better" are quickly debunked by actual scientific inquiry. But this isn't the forum for such a discussion, so please keep the topic on point with regards to the OP's question. If it's not about coffee, then it doesn't really belong here.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name »

TomC wrote:All coffee is picked "raw". It's not a defect either.
Ok, like apples, but if you do that too early you miss most of the good stuff, right, like the sugars have not had time to develop and thus you will not get the maillard reaction while roasting those certain beans? (I've been told that coffee berries need to be picked when they're "ripe" is that correct? I'm not a native English speaker, so I might get things confused.... I think the order goes from raw to ripe and then overdone/self-fermented/molded....

But anyhow, if I can, I would like to rephrase myself better. :wink:

Coffee that is picked too early. Or processed too early (or maybe even totally the wrong way). The quality control (or mostly the lack of it) makes a huge role in the coffee that ends up into our cups.

There is a fine Tim Wendelboe video about green coffee quality BTW (I suppose it's an oldie since it's from 2012):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLMP6FycHI
Ever tasted Finca Tamana? Well, this current lot #4 is back to really good stuff! (lots #2 and #3 , though still well above the average bean, were something I wouldn't have written a song about....)

TW has written a couple of books as well (available also in English). I remember reading about this particular poor-quality issue from either one of them (or maybe both). They're both good reads. Not waste of money.

CoffeeBar

#9: Post by CoffeeBar »

Nick Name wrote:Low quality coffee beans tend to have various defects (beans that have been picked raw, beans that have been picked too late, mold, you name the defects, they've got them...).
Thank you Nick Name for sharing your thoughts. The is so true. Thank you :D

maigre

#10: Post by maigre »

Elin, you might consider stopping that evening coffee. Even if you're able to sleep, the lingering effects of the caffeine might compromise the quality of your sleep and set you up for adverse effects with the morning cup, among other things. I'd also echo the poster's comments about waiting until you've been up for 90 minutes or more in the morning before drinking coffee for the reasons mentioned.

Try coffees from different regions of the world and see if that matters. And if there's a good, specialty coffee cafe in your town, you might go there for awhile. The theoretically higher quality standards might help make sure that you're getting coffee grown and processed under more favorable conditions.

Some of us just can't tolerate coffee very well. There are those who seem to be able to drink lots of it for years without problem, but most probably can't say that. I certainly can't. A little goes a long way for me. And not all coffee tastes good to me. For some people, no coffee tastes good. You're probably somewhere nearer my end of the spectrum than the opposite. It's possible to find out if you're a quick or slow metabolizer of caffeine. Saliva test genetic profiles are a cheap and easy way if you're able to use the raw data to find it out. Being a slow metabolizer doesn't mean you shouldn't drink coffee, but it probably does mean that you shouldn't drink it after a certain hour and that you should keep the quantity down.