What is your favorite decaf espresso blend? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
onemoreshot

#11: Post by onemoreshot »

IMAWriter wrote:Continuing 1 step further if I may...I'm considering an order of a "green" decaf espresso blend for home roasting..., has anyone tried the decaf green espresso from Metropolis, Paradise, SM's Donkey?....any others would be welcome....sorry for the left turn, Jon!
IMAWriter, did you have any luck finding something?

Thx

cpl593h

#12: Post by cpl593h »

Jon, I tried the Luna Nuova decaf on your recommendation and I'm glad I did. It's exceptional. Very chocolatey, very classic coffee, easy to work with. I liked it best as a tight ristretto.

Grant

#13: Post by Grant »

IMAWriter wrote:Continuing 1 step further if I may...I'm considering an order of a "green" decaf espresso blend for home roasting..., has anyone tried the decaf green espresso from Metropolis, Paradise, SM's Donkey?....any others would be welcome....sorry for the left turn, Jon!
I have roasted about 1# of Donkey so far (150g at a time in an iRoast), and I have to say I am quite pleased with it - as long as it is roasted a bit darker, with oils just starting to show on the surface. This may be a failing of the iRoast temperature profiles, but I find that anything lighter seems to result in a woody/grassy taste to the espresso. While I am sure the blend loses something to the darker roast, it makes for a very smooth chocolately cappa....it has become our later in the evening standard.

Grant

onemoreshot

#14: Post by onemoreshot »

Hey Grant,

I am down in Calgary. I have recently been roasting some batches of Paradise Roasters decaf espresso on my iroast2 and am quite happy with it. Its tough getting product to Canada at a reasonable price especially after brokerage and customs. Paradise Roasters works out well for me as I get USPS Global Shipping flat rate envelopes shipped for around $8.00 and the envelope holds three pounds. PR have been awesome to work with!

412Rich

#15: Post by 412Rich »

Abe Carmeli wrote:I had it last night, oh my, what a fantastic decaf! I never drink decaf, as a straight shot I find them all offensive, like bad wine. But that one tastes like regular non decaffeinated coffee. I am not sure if it is the CO2 process that made the difference, but bottom line it is a wonderful straight shot, rich in flavor and sweet. A perfect after dinner SO shot. CO2 Decaf Organic Mexico
Abe,
How would you compare the CO2 Decaf Organic Mexico it to decaf Black Cat (assuming you remember the taste)? I had posted over on a pro forum as I'm looking for good decaf because of a temporarily medical issue. I've never pulled a blend (or is it an SO) of strictly Mexican.

Btw, wouldn't recommend the following as an SO, but if anyone likes Sumatran, I'm of the opinion that Intelly's recent decaf organic Sumatran would pass itself off as full-caffeinated at many cupping tables. I've been pressing and Aeropressing it daily... and I don't really like Sumatrans. But it actually tastes like.... coffee!
Crazy Mocha
Pittsburgh, PA

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#16: Post by Abe Carmeli »

412Rich wrote:Abe,
How would you compare the CO2 Decaf Organic Mexico it to decaf Black Cat (assuming you remember the taste)?
I believe Dan may be a better judge of that, as he drinks Black Cat regularly. I've never had their decaf blend.
Abe Carmeli

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

Sorry, it's been years since I tried the decaf Black Cat. It worked well in milk, but I struggled to pull an acceptable shot without bitterness.
Dan Kehn

JR_Germantown

#18: Post by JR_Germantown »

Grant wrote:I have roasted about 1# of Donkey so far (150g at a time in an iRoast), and I have to say I am quite pleased with it - as long as it is roasted a bit darker, with oils just starting to show on the surface. This may be a failing of the iRoast temperature profiles, but I find that anything lighter seems to result in a woody/grassy taste to the espresso. While I am sure the blend loses something to the darker roast, it makes for a very smooth chocolately cappa....it has become our later in the evening standard.

Grant
Ditto for me. I accidentally roasted it dark, it sneaked up on me. Since it starts out dark anyway, and the cracks are not as pronounced as with "regular", and I'm using my "new" UFO/GG, I almost went too far with it. It came out rather oily, but it seems to produce a decent shot. We don't drink it straight, but it makes a nice capp.

Jack

cannonfodder
Team HB

#19: Post by cannonfodder »

I have been looking at some decaf options. I just tore through a half pound of espresso in two days, by myself, doing some testing. I noticed that Paradise Roasters has a Decaffeinated Espresso. I may give it a try.
Dave Stephens

PheasantCreek

#20: Post by PheasantCreek »

We recently switched from CCC Decaf Organic Mexico to CCC Decaf Organic Sumatra. The Sumatra is swiss-water processed as opposed the Mexico Pluma which was CO2 decaffeinated. I found the Mexico would get a bit astringent as a straight shot. The Sumatra is a very drinkable straight shot.
Geoff Corey