What is wow'ing you? - Page 98

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Iowa_Boy

#971: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Stanford55 wrote:B&W Coffee sounds interesting, indeed. Anyone making espresso with their beans? Thinking about getting The Classic.
Yes, I have been making espresso, Americanos, and iced Americanos with The Original from B&W. Sadly, pulled my last shot this morning. Have a 2 pound bag of the Natural from B&W which I need to open as well, but have a bag of Nossa Familia which is up next so it will have to wait.

IMAWriter

#972: Post by IMAWriter replying to Iowa_Boy »

Scott, you are coffee Rich. Nossa, nice folks too!

5280grindz

#973: Post by 5280grindz »

Iowa_Boy wrote:Yes, I have been making espresso, Americanos, and iced Americanos with The Original from B&W. Sadly, pulled my last shot this morning. Have a 2 pound bag of the Natural from B&W which I need to open as well, but have a bag of Nossa Familia which is up next so it will have to wait.
How you think it will be in milk based drinks? Looks super interesting. Is it a med or med light?

I'm finishing off some Chromatic Gamut (great) and Red Bird Blue Jag (prefer espresso blend).

Iowa_Boy

#974: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to 5280grindz »

I would call it solidly in the medium roast category. I will be honest I have much more difficulty distinguishing nuances in coffee flavor once milk is added. However, it is definitely worth trying! Haven't tried any Chromatic Gut before. Need to add that to my list!

marlodmb

#975: Post by marlodmb »

IMAWriter wrote:I received my order from Black & White Coffee Wednesday. https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/
3 day delivery...nice. Beautifully packaged 2# bags.
The Coffee? IMO, spectacular. I went with their "Seasonal" Blends, "The Classic" (All washed coffees) , and "The Natural" (DP coffees).
The Classic is the sweetest coffee I've purchased in years...as if someone drop a teaspoon of sugar in the mug. 200f in a Brazen, 201f via Kalita. I won't go into descriptors here. Discovery is half the fun. "The Natural" ("THE" is a permanent prefix for these blends) is exactly what you'd expect, but more refined...lush berry, light cocoa finish, but this is opulent coffee. I'd expect a powerful espresso ristretto from The Natural, a more refined, subtle one with The Classic. Both coffees are what Id call Medium roasted, but with a slight edge toward medium +. There is absolutely no roast taste...but no hint of woody, or off flavors either. NONE.

Both these coffees are the best coffees I've ordered in years. The proprietor is former Counter Culture's Lem Butler (2016 US Barista Champion.) I cannot recommend these 2 coffees enough. BTW, they also have a goodly number of SO coffee offerings.

NOTE: I have absolutely no connection with B&W...though wish I did! That said, Lem's prices are surprisingly reasonable. I paid $14 per POUND for each 2# bag...and free shipping.
Well your post made me order 2# of the natural and 12ounce of the classic! :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#976: Post by yakster »

Margerie,

Have you had a chance to try the Decafino Decaf Pouch? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

martianpc

#977: Post by martianpc »

Stanford55 wrote:Onyx's Monarch Espresso on my newly acquired vintage Cremina. Flavor profile says thick and syrupy with dried berries, red wine and dark chocolate, but I'm also getting a subtle but pleasant cinnamon note, something I never got on my previous machine. I'm a lever convert.
I am having trouble getting this dialed in well. I am getting a nice 30 ish second extraction for a 2:1 dose of 18g but I am getting a some off putting flavors and even sourness. I will have to try going coarser I think and see if I can speed it up and maybe run a bit longer too. I want that cinnamon flavor you have!

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#978: Post by RockyIII »

marlodmb wrote:Well your post made me order 2# of the natural and 12ounce of the classic! :D
IMAWriter did a great sales job. I placed an order also, for 12 ounces of each, and received it yesterday.

Rocky

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#979: Post by Stanford55 »

martianpc wrote:I am having trouble getting this dialed in well. I am getting a nice 30 ish second extraction for a 2:1 dose of 18g but I am getting a some off putting flavors and even sourness. I will have to try going coarser I think and see if I can speed it up and maybe run a bit longer too. I want that cinnamon flavor you have!
This is a bummer. I would characterize the Monarch as a medium-dark roast that might respond better to higher doses and/or coarser grind. In my Breville Express I do remember having to grind coarser than other beans but the result was usually very good-great mouthfeel and the dried berries/red wine always came through. For whatever reason my Cremina added another layer of complexity to the profile (although initially I choked the machine and had to grind coarser there, too).

Perhaps play with the ratio a bit? This of course is personal preference, but I generally favor lower volume shots; I think the ratio on my Cremina was 1.5 or thereabouts. I hope you turn the corner on this.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#980: Post by LBIespresso »

Ethiopia Dame Dabaya From Gimme! Coffee

NP darker roast than I expected or generally prefer but I am ordering more. As pour over it was blueberries with some pleasant tea like astringency yet still packing some chocolate punchieness. As espresso it is more complex but I am still working on the best recipe.

Also, not one quaker in the whole bag. Unlike the Ethiopian NP I had from Paradise roasters which was ridiculous. I even though about sending back the bag with all of the quakers...lol
LMWDP #580