What is wow'ing you? - Page 96

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cmin

#951: Post by cmin »

jevenator wrote:I got a pound of Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yirgacheffe from S&W Roasting. Right now using areopress while traveling so I will try it as espresso soon but there is a heavily pronounced blueberry throughout the cup. That even my in-laws who don't even get the whole coffee thing can taste the blueberry acidity. On really good extractions I've gotten the same blueberry but also this beautiful sweet pie/pastry taste to it that it tastes likes a blueberry pie. It's pretty crazy.
did you try as espresso, as I've had various beans of theirs and found impossible to pull for espresso. Good for pour over, but espresso on different beans extracted so poorly even on vst baskets. Channeled, gushed, sprayed like crazy as if stale or poorly roasted but they weren't as they were good for pour over. I found out about them online and rarely do I see anyone mention espresso with their stuff, always brew etc.
MB wrote:On jevenator's recommendation I ordered a pound of the Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yrgacheffe from S&W Roasting and at only 4 days post roast (I couldn't wait) it was delicious. Upon opening the bag, I had a huge smile from the intense fruit. It reminds me of the intensity of the blueberry pastry Wote Konga people were excited about a year or so ago, but this one leans somewhat towards strawberry (at least on day 4). I'm pulling it on the L1 and LR, and the flavors really come through.
weird, I had multiple orders of various beans of theirs and could not get dialed in at all. Even a friend with a Mono Conical couldn't dial with my beans on his setup.

Sib

#952: Post by Sib »

I recently bought my first grinder - a Comandante C40 MkIII - and today my first delivery of freshly roasted beans arrived in the post. They were very reasonably priced Columbia Supremo beans. I prepared my coffee using a Kalita Wave dripper.

I had previously had trouble distinguishing between acidity and bitterness. In fact, almost all the coffee I had drunk tasted bitter and mildly burnt.
But, when I drank this coffee I could clearly detect a lemony acidity. Now I'm very much looking forward to trying out lots of different coffee beans, and discovering different tastes! Particularly on the hunt for something chocolatey or caramely!

Iowa_Boy

#953: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I am really enjoying the coffee from Black and White Coffee Roasters. I first tried their Gesha Village coffee at the Slayer Booth at the Specialty Coffee Expo earlier this year. It blew me away it was so good. Sadly, it is not currently available. I finally got around to ordering some coffee from them, and am really enjoying the B&W "The Original" which is excellent. For espresso, have been doing about 18 grams in, 38-40 grams out. I am poor at describing coffee, so I will just say that I find their description to be really accurate, which is flavors of citrus, honey, and chocolate. Dialed in, I would say that honey and chocolate flavors predominate, with a hint of citrus making for a very pleasant shot. It was very easy to dial in. Looking forward to trying more of their coffees!

BaristaBob

#954: Post by BaristaBob »

Iowa_Boy wrote:Currently going through a bag of George Howell Alchemy.
Loving this coffee! Temp 204, 15 second pre-infusion, 18.5 grams in, 38 grams out, about 45 second shot time total.
Definitely tasting the chocolate notes up front, with a perfect raspberry like finish.
Can't wait to try some other GH offerings!
Enjoying GH's Tarrazu right now. It is on the lighter side of medium roast. I'm eight days after roast, tasting predominately chocolate, but would also like to get the almond and peach notes too. Has anyone else dialed in this coffee lately? Here are my parameters right now.

in: 18g
out: 36g
time: 33 sec. (includes 20 sec. preinfusion)
temp: 202F
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

MB

#955: Post by MB »

cmin wrote:did you try as espresso, as I've had various beans of theirs and found impossible to pull for espresso. Good for pour over, but espresso on different beans extracted so poorly even on vst baskets. Channeled, gushed, sprayed like crazy as if stale or poorly roasted but they weren't as they were good for pour over. I found out about them online and rarely do I see anyone mention espresso with their stuff, always brew etc.

weird, I had multiple orders of various beans of theirs and could not get dialed in at all. Even a friend with a Mono Conical couldn't dial with my beans on his setup.
Okay, I had the S&W Roasting Ethiopia Kebede Wako as an espresso this morning, at 18.5g in 26g out with 10 seconds pre-infusion and about 26 seconds pull, so ristretto-ish. I add sugar as I have a sweet tooth. Delicious, intense, nice fruity flavors in the direction of strawberries. The lingering aftertaste is pleasing, like the espresso.

I also had it in a latte with a co-worker that makes lattes with me twice a day, and she remarked how fruity it was. Day 6 post roast, and it is doing nicely. I will freeze it later today before the weekend to preserve where it's at right now.
LMWDP #472

cmin

#956: Post by cmin replying to MB »

Weird, I couldn't get their beans dialed at all, even with a Monolith. Just sprayed or channeled like crazy, various orders with them.

MB

#957: Post by MB »

Thanks for your input. I have a pound of another offering and some samples of others, so I will see how it goes. For me this one is definitely on the reorder list.
LMWDP #472

jevenator

#958: Post by jevenator »

cmin wrote:Weird, I couldn't get their beans dialed at all, even with a Monolith. Just sprayed or channeled like crazy, various orders with them.
Very weird indeed, here is a link to my reddit post where I pulled a shot of this particular bean we are talking about. It's the best looking shot I've gotten in general.

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#959: Post by Stanford55 »

Onyx's Monarch Espresso on my newly acquired vintage Cremina. Flavor profile says thick and syrupy with dried berries, red wine and dark chocolate, but I'm also getting a subtle but pleasant cinnamon note, something I never got on my previous machine. I'm a lever convert.

3cordcreations

#960: Post by 3cordcreations replying to Stanford55 »

:D

Hey! Glad to hear it! What are your parameters?
I'm right at 15g and a full pull is around 40g but most shots are not thick.
Is the Monarch blend a med roast level?
A three cord strand is not easily broken...