What is wow'ing you? - Page 95

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BaristaBob

#941: Post by BaristaBob »

The Core Espresso from Highwire Coffee Roasters in Emeryville, CA

I've been on a search for cherry chocolate recently, and this baby delivered. Found a June review from Coffee Review and though my taste buds differ from theirs, this one is right on. Bing cherry, dark chocolate and if I hold the preinfusion longer I get some pipe tobacco...that's pleasing too. Another side note is this four bean blend is roasted medium light...which I'm glad to see as well.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Chert

#942: Post by Chert »

Today I pulled a shot of the Sweet Marias Brazil Fazenda Serrinha that gave me the honey sweetness and some dried fruit tastes. Very good. Not that my roast or this coffee is really WOW, but a coffee of Brasil can be really tasty like that shot I am still enjoying in memory 4 hours later. Mmm mmm mmm.
LMWDP #198

jevenator

#943: Post by jevenator »

I got a pound of Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yirgacheffe from S&W Roasting. Right now using areopress while traveling so I will try it as espresso soon but there is a heavily pronounced blueberry throughout the cup. That even my in-laws who don't even get the whole coffee thing can taste the blueberry acidity. On really good extractions I've gotten the same blueberry but also this beautiful sweet pie/pastry taste to it that it tastes likes a blueberry pie. It's pretty crazy.

drown

#944: Post by drown »

Just ordered some Nueva Esperanza,Guatemalan beans from Ceremony. This is the bean that turned me on to espresso a year ago. It's been a great journey. Can't wait to try this again.
Geography is War

3cordcreations

#945: Post by 3cordcreations »

jevenator wrote:I got a pound of Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yirgacheffe from S&W Roasting. Right now using areopress while traveling so I will try it as espresso soon but there is a heavily pronounced blueberry throughout the cup. That even my in-laws who don't even get the whole coffee thing can taste the blueberry acidity. On really good extractions I've gotten the same blueberry but also this beautiful sweet pie/pastry taste to it that it tastes likes a blueberry pie. It's pretty crazy.
Sounds great! I like those type of flavors.
Is this the one? https://swroasting.com/ethiopia-kebede- ... heff1.html
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

jevenator

#946: Post by jevenator replying to 3cordcreations »

Yes it is!

jevenator

#947: Post by jevenator »

jevenator wrote:I got a pound of Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yirgacheffe from S&W Roasting. Right now using Aeropress while traveling so I will try it as espresso soon but there is a heavily pronounced blueberry throughout the cup. That even my in-laws who don't even get the whole coffee thing can taste the blueberry acidity. On really good extractions I've gotten the same blueberry but also this beautiful sweet pie/pastry taste to it that it tastes likes a blueberry pie. It's pretty crazy.
Edit: The bean as an espresso tastes pleasant. I can't really pick up distinct fruit flavors with it but it has this pleasant, smooth tropical acidity to it with a slight winey sparkle. Having shots from the Robot highlights the winey flavor whereas the BDB is creamier. I will probably buy this again in the future. There's a local roaster near me that offers a very similar bean with pretty much the exact same flavor profile and in cup tastes very similar. But SWroasting pulls off a slightly lighter roast and has those added pastry notes which I find great.

MB

#948: Post by MB »

On jevenator's recommendation I ordered a pound of the Ethiopia Kebede Wako Gedeb Yrgacheffe from S&W Roasting and at only 4 days post roast (I couldn't wait) it was delicious. Upon opening the bag, I had a huge smile from the intense fruit. It reminds me of the intensity of the blueberry pastry Wote Konga people were excited about a year or so ago, but this one leans somewhat towards strawberry (at least on day 4). I'm pulling it on the L1 and LR, and the flavors really come through.
LMWDP #472

michael

#949: Post by michael »

Do you have a starting point, gs in, gs out, time and temp 8)

MB

#950: Post by MB replying to michael »

16.5g in 26g out 7 sec preinfuse, 27 sec pour
18.5g in 26g out 7 sec preinfuse, 26 sec pour
Both in 8oz lattes and good. Wanted to wait till tomorrow for straight espresso.
I don't monitor temp with the levers. I just grind and preinfuse differently for different roasts.
LMWDP #472