What is wow'ing you? - Page 92

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jdub

#911: Post by Jdub »

I didn't get much acid at all in my shots of 17ft. I remember when deciding between the two that Hayes had "orange zest" and I instantly thought of acid so that's why I went with 17ft. My batch was roasted in Oakland.

def

#912: Post by def »

NagadiCoffee.com Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Yirg-Z. Bright SO coffee. I tried various recipes, grinding very fine 1:3 ratio, long 75 second @9bar extractions with 14g. 16g less fine, 1:2.5 ratio 60 second extractions. The more I try to extract out of it by grinding finer, lowering dose, and increasing yield, the less acidic and more bitter the shot. So this one is best enjoyed for its bright citrous taste. I would try 16g in, 40g out, long PI and fairly long extraction at full pressure. 201-203F

Also try any regular brew method.

Advertisement
def

#913: Post by def »

NagadiCoffee.com West Java Andes. This one is pretty easy to work with. 20g in, 40g out. Long PI @1.5bar (until first bead on bottomless PF noticed), 30 second @ 9bar. Also delicious as pour-over brew. Very high quality coffee and expertly roasted to maintain great flavor.

spressomon

#914: Post by spressomon »

I have a problem. Well, problems but the one I refer to here is coffee bean related :D. I'm finally working down many pounds of beans that have been resting in the deep freeze for the past year or so. Its a chest style deep freeze and things kinda get away from me, all things knowing that the heck is in it, at any given time.

So, I'm about 4-5 lbs away from needing to buy beans again (a good problem :D)...but discovered two jars of Northbound Roasters, one of my favorite roasters EVER, Coffee Lover from a purchase a year ago. For me and my SO its the best of both worlds in this blend: Nice dark chocolate, a little nut (almond?) and a BIG natural Ethiopian impart. And unlike other beans I've purchased there is zero degradation from being frozen the past year.

Gotta hurry and get through frozen beans...so I can order a 5# bag of Coffee Lover (seasonal).
No Espresso = Depresso

soadasopa

#915: Post by soadasopa »

Recently got a bag of Intelligentsia Ethiopia Kurimi. Lovely florals as they describe and produced a wonderful shot of espresso. I bought it for drip but when I saw the roast (perfectly developed in my opinion) I decided to pull a shot and was not disappointed. Blanaced, clean, sweet. Awesome coffee.

pGolay

#916: Post by pGolay »

I've recently had a couple of Camber (Bellingham, Wa. roaster) 'Big Joy' espressos at my local bakery - (Coyle's in Seattle) and it's at least as good as any I've had (since I've been paying attention, anyway). It's supposed to be the 'for with milk' espresso in the Camber line but it is just fine on its own. When my current supplies run low, I plan to get a pound and see what happens on the home machine.
-PG

jasonmolinari

#917: Post by jasonmolinari »

spressomon wrote:I have a problem. Well, problems but the one I refer to here is coffee bean related :D. I'm finally working down many pounds of beans that have been resting in the deep freeze for the past year or so. Its a chest style deep freeze and things kinda get away from me, all things knowing that the heck is in it, at any given time.

So, I'm about 4-5 lbs away from needing to buy beans again (a good problem :D)...but discovered two jars of Northbound Roasters, one of my favorite roasters EVER, Coffee Lover from a purchase a year ago. For me and my SO its the best of both worlds in this blend: Nice dark chocolate, a little nut (almond?) and a BIG natural Ethiopian impart. And unlike other beans I've purchased there is zero degradation from being frozen the past year.

Gotta hurry and get through frozen beans...so I can order a 5# bag of Coffee Lover (seasonal).
It would appear i bought that last 5# bag :) i ordered mine yesterday and today it's no longer listed. Sorry! I hope it's good!

Advertisement
Iowa_Boy

#918: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Currently going through a bag of George Howell Alchemy.
Loving this coffee! Temp 204, 15 second pre-infusion, 18.5 grams in, 38 grams out, about 45 second shot time total.
Definitely tasting the chocolate notes up front, with a perfect raspberry like finish.
Can't wait to try some other GH offerings!

Senftjc77

#919: Post by Senftjc77 replying to Iowa_Boy »

I've been wanting to try this coffee for some time. The GH website lists this as their darkest. How dark is it? I'm usually not a huge fan of really dark coffees but I have had some great ones. Generally I will stay within the medium-medium/dark varieties for my everyday stuff.

I have a bag of their Tarrazu Espresso on the way which is described as a bit lighter than the alchemy. Think I should try it anyway?
Profitec Pro 700 / I'm learning

IMAWriter

#920: Post by IMAWriter »

Just pulled this of George Howell's website as regards "Alchemy" espresso:
BEGINNING 07 16 2018
NOTES Chocolate covered almonds,
toffee, blood orange
COMPONENTS 30% Tarrazu, Costa Rica
30% Villa Borghese, Brazil
30% Pastores, Guatemala
10% Sidamo, Ethiopia
INSTRUCTIONS 18 grams in, 36 grams out,