What is wow'ing you? - Page 91

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
johnny4lsu

#901: Post by johnny4lsu »

It's slammin this morning!! :D

IMAWriter

#902: Post by IMAWriter »

Chert wrote:I only used it for espresso. malt like malted milk or something from the beer lexicon? I think my temperature would be about that, or a bit hotter using the la pavoni temp outside bell 90C at start of shot. Last week my work espresso sharing buddy stopped over there and came back with a bag and was pleased on his Gaggia Classic. But the smidge he passed on to me did not quite pop like the bag I had. I think they claim to hold profile across seasons, etc, but a few years ago it was more chocolate cherry about it that pleased me then. Man, I'm glad you are trying it. Cheers!
Malty like beer, but a light amber, nutty, but with a piquant yet masculine essence. (The bolded part a lame attempt at humor) :lol:
Just not quite enough "low mid-range..musical term) for me. Solid coffee, just not my style, but glad I tried it, and as I mentioned a VERY nice drip coffee. They do mention it can be brewed in that manner.

Advertisement
Jdub

#903: Post by Jdub »

Mentioned here a few times but 17ft Ceiling from Blue Bottle has been treating me good all week. Nice syrupy dark chocolate caramel shot.

tyfabes

#904: Post by tyfabes »

johnny4lsu wrote:It's slammin this morning!! :D
Johnny, are you doing this as espresso or pour over? I debated for too long and now it's OOS. Lesson learned for next time. :lol:

johnny4lsu

#905: Post by johnny4lsu replying to tyfabes »

Pour over, but I did buy a bag to try for espresso that's currently in the freezer.

liquidmetal

#906: Post by liquidmetal »

tumendoza wrote:The local roaster in Houston called Amaya roasting currently offers the beans from Columbia called Juan Camilo. Very easy to get the beans dialed in and the result in the cup is very smooth and pleasant.
Love Amaya! Their temporada is an excellent espresso blend as well. If you haven't already, you should go to Retrospect and pick up some Flat Track coffee (from Flat Track in Austin, Retrospect carries it though) and try one of their single origins.

Phaedrus

#907: Post by Phaedrus »

Jdub wrote:Mentioned here a few times but 17ft Ceiling from Blue Bottle has been treating me good all week. Nice syrupy dark chocolate caramel shot.
Just received a bag of this along with some Hayes Valley. Any tips on how to pull 17ft ceiling?

Advertisement
def

#908: Post by def »

Columbia Montañita from NagadiCoffee.com.

I am enjoying this coffee with pour over and espresso. Super tasty. My parameters for espresso:

202F, 30 second pre-infusion at 1.5 bar, 20g in, 42g out, about 45 second extraction at 9 bar. One of the best shots I have tasted. This is with my new Kafatek Monolith Flat grinder.

Jdub

#909: Post by Jdub »

Phaedrus wrote:Just received a bag of this along with some Hayes Valley. Any tips on how to pull 17ft ceiling?
Sorry just saw this. Not sure if you tried any yet but I did 16g in and stopped when it started to blonde. Hg-1 and Londinium r. I'm going to try the Hayes Valley next. What's your thoughts on the two?

Phaedrus

#910: Post by Phaedrus replying to Jdub »

I found 17ft to have more acid in it than I care for. Which is surprising, since the description compares it to a traditional Italian espresso with robusta in it. Hayes I like a lot in a cappuccino. It has a hint of acid that actually works really well with milk. Almost as if you were to mix in a bit of orange zest. Straight shots of Hayes I'm not a fan of. My last batch of Hayes was roasted in Brooklyn and I recall it being tastier than this batch which was roasted in Oakland.