What is wow'ing you? - Page 90

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
johnny4lsu

#891: Post by johnny4lsu »

I've been drinking it the last few days. I'm not quite dialed in. It's good, but I haven't crossed over to great yet, and I attribute that to my grind setting.

TomC
Team HB

#892: Post by TomC replying to johnny4lsu »

The funny thing is, the Peruvian was my second choice. I went to their site for the new Colombian (also a Red Fox offering), but I'm liking the Peruvian much more. The Colombian Ahumado is intensely sweet, but less balanced and fewer flavor dimensions.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bluayeddvl

#893: Post by bluayeddvl »

Radio.YYZ wrote:I am in Toronto, Canada, i use trebilcock coffee in Pickering area.
that is definitely a difficult one to beat. it has been my goto for quite a while and suits my palate extremely well.
but to prevent getting stuck on just one, i will mix things up a bit and enjoy trying other beans from other roasters. Seems that I always find my way back to Trebilock. if you haven't tried it yet, may i suggest the Honduras (San Jacinto).

johnny4lsu

#894: Post by johnny4lsu »

Good to know! I ordered another bag a few days ago to play around with for espresso.

Radio.YYZ

#895: Post by Radio.YYZ »

bluayeddvl wrote:that is definitely a difficult one to beat. it has been my goto for quite a while and suits my palate extremely well.
but to prevent getting stuck on just one, i will mix things up a bit and enjoy trying other beans from other roasters. Seems that I always find my way back to Trebilock. if you haven't tried it yet, may i suggest the Honduras (San Jacinto).
Good timing, i was going to order some coffee today or tomorrow. What others have you tried and what flavour notes have you discovered were pleasurable to the palete?

I have only tried cocks crow, ardi, and big rooster. So far the ardi has been my gold standard!
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

bluayeddvl

#896: Post by bluayeddvl replying to Radio.YYZ »

A while back, they did a micro lot of El Salvador that was really great too. so keep your eyes open. you never know what Tim might find on his travels.

Similar to you, Ardi continues to be my first choice (robot and moka pot), and Mrs seems to really enjoy the Big Rooster for her daily press pot. have to admit, it is great this way and i've enjoyed it any time i've been invited to share :? I have yet to try it any other way. i think being a dark roast blend, it is extremely well suited to the press.

Let's see, others i've tried and enjoyed are the Cocks Crow, Guatemala (Ceiba Huehuetenango) and the Wicked Espresso. While all very good in their own right, i found the blended Cocks Crow better suited to pour over and clever dripper rather than the moka pot or robot. the Huehue seems to hold up just about any way i use it altho it does take a bit of fiddling to get the grind just right for the robot. In all fairness, i've found that to be the case with Guatemala Huehuetenango from two other roasters as well, so it's a me issue, not anyone else. And well, the Wicked Espresso is also very good, but for me it works better in a long black/americano. The Chalo's Colombian, while a very good coffee, doesn't tick enough of my own personal taste checkboxes.

All that said, Dave and Tim do a helluva good job on all the beans they work with. I will always lean towards the Ardi and hope to continue that love affair for a very long while. But i don't feel any shame at all when i step out and enjoy the Honduras just as much. And as you too are enjoying the Ardi, then no doubt you will also really appreciate and enjoy the Honduras.

Radio.YYZ

#897: Post by Radio.YYZ »

thanks for the insight! I will order accordingly and update on how i like it.

I find their roasting seems to produce better quality coffee compared to some others in toronto, e.g the yirgacheffe tastes like a different coffee quality and flavour wise at trebilcock!
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

IMAWriter

#898: Post by IMAWriter »

Chert wrote:i stopped at the Olympia roastery this weekend and snagged a bag of Big Truck: Still WOW after all these years. Sweet, balanced berry and caramel + ?. Great double espresso and pairs great with milk, even in competition with the Colombia las Margaritas bourbon noir.
Based on comments here, I purchased 3 #s of Big Truck. I'm not getting quite the same profile as you describe...more of a "malty" thing with 17 grams in, 34 in the cup. Pulling at about 201f.

That said, as a Brazen drip/Kalita, it's surprisingly..."concise." I mean well balanced, no jagged edges. The berry seems more in the aroma than on my tongue. Nice coffee.

Chert

#899: Post by Chert replying to IMAWriter »

I only used it for espresso. malt like malted milk or something from the beer lexicon? I think my temperature would be about that, or a bit hotter using the la pavoni temp outside bell 90C at start of shot. Last week my work espresso sharing buddy stopped over there and came back with a bag and was pleased on his Gaggia Classic. But the smidge he passed on to me did not quite pop like the bag I had. I think they claim to hold profile across seasons, etc, but a few years ago it was more chocolate cherry about it that pleased me then. Man, I'm glad you are trying it. Cheers!
LMWDP #198

tumendoza

#900: Post by tumendoza »

The local roaster in Houston called Amaya roasting currently offers the beans from Columbia called Juan Camilo. Very easy to get the beans dialed in and the result in the cup is very smooth and pleasant.