What is wow'ing you? - Page 89

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Rashkh

#881: Post by Rashkh »

Just had Devocion's Wild Forest as an americano a few hours ago and holy crap was it amazing. I had assumed that I was doing something wrong when using Cafe Grumpy's Momentum blend because it either came out bland or sour (and, to be fair, maybe I was) but Wild Forest came out amazing on the first pull. 18/36g in ~28 seconds at 203F and man did those blueberry notes shine through. It was definitely the best cup of coffee I've ever made and up there with the one of the best cups I've ever had outside of Sey.

spressomon

#882: Post by spressomon »

Its been a while since I've been "wow'd" by a natural process Ethiopian but Barrington's Geshe Botto at 11-days post roast is turning into pure Juicy Fruit gum in the (espresso) cup. I opted to try it apart of their discounted paired "Ethiopian Tasting Pair" 12oz bags; however they only offer 12oz bags...otherwise I'd ante up for a couple pounds or Kg.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
isleofman

#883: Post by isleofman »

spressomon wrote:Barrington's Geshe Botto at 11-days post roast is turning into pure Juicy Fruit gum in the (espresso) cup...
I'm a fan of Barrington Roasters - they're kind of local for me - and I am always willing to try a natural. I just fired up an order of the Ethiopian Pairing. Thanks for the tip - really looking forward to giving it a try (in 11 days :wink: )

genecounts

#884: Post by genecounts »

I get my kicks going through the posts searching for coffee that have potential for future ordering. Have fridge freezer half full of vacuumed pint jars of Klatch from December sale Earlier RockyIII mentioned Veltons Roasters. Checked it out and really liked the description of coffees from this small roaster, especially: Veltons's Mexico Santa Martha, Chiapas
Sweet and tart with a buttery mouthfeel; caramel, fruit and lemonade flavors. If anyone tried this one please post your impressions.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#885: Post by LBIespresso »

spressomon wrote:Its been a while since I've been "wow'd" by a natural process Ethiopian but Barrington's Geshe Botto at 11-days post roast is turning into pure Juicy Fruit gum in the (espresso) cup. I opted to try it apart of their discounted paired "Ethiopian Tasting Pair" 12oz bags; however they only offer 12oz bags...otherwise I'd ante up for a couple pounds or Kg.
Just had some as both espresso and americano. Thanks for the recommendation! So good. I think I tasted some jackfruit (Juicyfruit gum flavor and even better as a fruit) but that could have been the power of suggestion. Either way this is some seriously good stuff. Also, thanks to your suggestion I waited until day 11. Cremina 14 in 24 out 10 second preinfuse 40 second total pull declining pressure 80 on the temp strip on the bell.
LMWDP #580

Radio.YYZ

#886: Post by Radio.YYZ »

I think i am quickly realizing that not all roasters are the same, you can have the same bean roasted by two different outfits and it tastes vastly different.

My holy grail in magical flavour and smell (so far) was the Ethiopian Sidama Ardi. As soon as the bag was opened it smelled exactly like blueberry jam, this smell was very present in the cup as well (flat white). Over time as the coffee got older the jam flavour and smell diminished.
For the sole espresso drinkers without milk, this would be a very fruity coffee as the milk balances the acidity and enhances sweetness.

I purchased ardi from another roaster and the experience was the complete opposite.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

fatcat220

#887: Post by fatcat220 »

Radio, which roaster do you prefer for Ethiopian Sidama Ardi?

Advertisement
Radio.YYZ

#888: Post by Radio.YYZ replying to fatcat220 »

I am in Toronto, Canada, i use trebilcock coffee in Pickering area.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Chert

#889: Post by Chert »

i stopped at the Olympia roastery this weekend and snagged a bag of Big Truck: Still WOW after all these years. Sweet, balanced berry and caramel + ?. Great double espresso and pairs great with milk, even in competition with the Colombia las Margaritas bourbon noir.
LMWDP #198

TomC
Team HB

#890: Post by TomC »

Tasting pretty much exactly like the descriptors. Sweet Bloom has an incredible Peruvian coffee sourced by Red Fox Coffee Merchants. Aleco describes his love for Peruvian coffees in his journal. It's nice to see and taste the fruits of his labors. I was fortunate to visit with him a few years ago, when he spoke on his efforts to discover great Peruvian coffee further off the beaten path.

This coffee is creamy, smooth, sweet maple syrup.

https://sweetbloomcoffee.com/collection ... ra-reserve
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/