What is wow'ing you? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TheSunInsideYou

#21: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

jbviau wrote:Thanks, Dave! Haile was near the top of my Verve wish list, so I think you've sold me [update: order placed]. I've already got some Elida natural on hand (from PT's). Glad to hear the Solo is treating you well.

Back more squarely on-topic, I have to say that MadCap's Summer Solstice is the best all-around coffee I've tried in the past few months. Haven't tasted either of the blend components individually (though both are available--Kochere and Ardi), but they work well together.
Well now we've exchanged rec's, and I'm equally pleased. Thanks for that, Josh. Summer Solstice was the first I've had of Mad Cap besides their most recent iteration of Third Coast Espresso, and I must say, it was a great re-introduction. The fruitiness makes a beautiful Aeropress, V60, Chemex, Kone, Iced Brew, you name it! And I'm sure it was great on the Trifecta. As I typically feel that there are too many coffees to try and too little time, it's one of the only coffees that I'm tempted to reorder.

Thanks!

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#22: Post by jbviau »

Glad you liked it! Since then, I've tried and enjoyed one Beehouse mug of their Kochere on its own, but I still prefer that blend.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#23: Post by jbviau »

Ok, PT's Ethiopia Nanno Challa is just great; I'd give it a "wow." I see Flint is impressed with Stumptown's version of the coffee, too. I'm not getting the lemon and blueberry notes he mentioned at all, so the roasts are clearly different (assuming it's the same lot); instead, PT's promises a noseful of peach pie, among other delights. Very sweet and complex. This was a shot in the dark, and I'm glad I took it.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

caldwa

#24: Post by caldwa »

I have been drinking Chocolate Fish Coffee's Panama Lerida Estate for the past week or so, and it's been one of the best coffees I have had all year. It's quite nice as a pourover, but as an espresso its wonderful. I get aroma of juicy blueberries and cocoa, an extremely clean profile of subtle blueberries, with delicate floral and sweet honey undertones. Highly recommended.

http://www.chocolatefishcoffee.com

haunce

#25: Post by haunce »

I've been pretty damn wowed by Herkimer Coffee. It begins sweet, but ends rich with cardamom, clove and tobacco. Available to buy here.

203 degrees
18 grams in
8-10 grams out

tekomino

#26: Post by tekomino replying to haunce »

Yep, that's the key with Herkimer, very tight shot. I use 19.5g IN, 17g OUT for sweet fruity start :mrgreen:

Tag Team Jesus

#27: Post by Tag Team Jesus »

Been playing around with Stumptown single origins lately. Currently, the Guatemala Santa Clara I got this week is easiest to make a great shot with: I've been dosing at 19 grams (today is day 4 past roast for me) at around 199.whatever brew temp. Sweet, malty, chocolate. I am always happy to find a SO that avoids the thin, splotchy, greasy, blond, yeasty, bready domain. This one has great crema, and thick body as long as kept ristretto-ish and stop it before blonding. Yum!

Advertisement
zin1953

#28: Post by zin1953 »

malachi wrote:Square Mile has been solid this year.
49th Parallel has been dramatically improving.
Tim Wendelboe is doing wonderful coffees.
Chris,

For those of us mere mortals, could you provide some rough idea regarding the shipping costs[x] of getting, say, Square Mile's or Tim Wendeloe's beans here to the SF Bay area . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Intrepid510 (original poster)

#29: Post by Intrepid510 (original poster) »

innermusic

#30: Post by innermusic »

+1 on the Herkimer and the Square Mile.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario