What is wow'ing you? - Page 120

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MNate

#1191: Post by MNate »

sungvary wrote: they're both colored with their red label, which apparently has some meaning but it isn't particularly transparent - but suggests that they were similar.
B&W's site says their red labels are fruit-forward naturals: "Our red label coffees have typically been naturally processed coffee or anaerobic naturals from Central and South America. We love the surprising but controlled fruitiness that these coffees exhibit. Our Red label coffees are a great introduction to fruitier coffees and a step up from our year round coffee, "The Natural." These coffee are impressive and balanced with slightly more fruit. "

I might try that Esteve. Thanks for the tip!

mbbrew

#1192: Post by mbbrew »

Kent Yemen from Vivid. This was my third coffee from Yemen and the first that isn't Yemenia varietal. It tastes much more like an African coffee than the Yemenia, but shares a tea like quality that the others have. I don't know why but all of the coffee from there also seems to be noticeably more caffeinated than anything else that I have drank.

jdrobison

#1193: Post by jdrobison »

sungvary wrote:The Natural Colombian from B&W? If so that was by far my favorite coffee of the year and the reason I picked up this one - they're both colored with their red label, which apparently has some meaning but it isn't particularly transparent - but suggests that they were similar.

I've found natural Colombians to be pretty uncommon, but one in the Onyx advent calendar and B&W's were outstanding.
Yep. The one from them. An amazing fruit bomb!

Dpablo

#1194: Post by Dpablo »

I just pulled a shot using B&W's natural Chiapas, and it is unbelievably delicious. Very prominent red fruit notes- red cherry-like. I also get an interesting cotton candy grape note. Maybe a top 5 espresso of all time for me.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#1195: Post by walr00s »

TomC wrote:Manhattan Coffee Roasters (not in New York), Shady Badger. A bronze-tip Colombian geisha. It's expensive, but its amongst the very best coffee I've ever tasted.

https://manhattancoffeeroasters.com/sho ... er-filter/

Folks in the USA might still be able to get it from Highlight Coffee Roasters. But you'd have to reach out to them and inquire.

http://www.highlightcoffee.com
I finally got to try this coffee this morning. It's like nothing I've ever had before. It tastes very tropical, definitely getting pineapple, maybe mango? Hard for me to place it but it reminds me of the beach. Thanks for the rec.

MB

#1196: Post by MB »

I was looking for a Panama Cataui and found one from Steady State that's not a straight Catui, but a blend of Pacas, Geisha and Catuai from the same farm. It keeps everything I like from the Cataui I had earlier this year and layers in a brighter stone fruit. I've been enjoying cup after cup of V60s and the occasional cappuccino. It seems to work better with a slightly finer grind than some of my other favorites.
LMWDP #472

jbviau
Supporter ★

#1197: Post by jbviau »

MB wrote:I was looking for a Panama Cataui and found one from Steady State that's not a straight Catui, but a blend of Pacas, Geisha and Catuai from the same farm...
That Agricola sounds good. I've never ordered from Steady State before. I assume they roast to order?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

MB

#1198: Post by MB replying to jbviau »

I don't know for sure. I ordered through my Trade subscription and substituted it in for one of their recommendations. Worth checking with them for this one.

UPDATE: I contacted Steady State saying there was a a question about roasting to order, and they replied, "Yes we roast to order, so the roast day would be the same as the ship date. We dont put roast dates on our coffees as we guarantee freshness and can let you know when it was roasted by the ship date. It allows us to sell our coffees slightly cheaper as there is less labor involved in the production process."
LMWDP #472

TrlstanC

#1199: Post by TrlstanC »

jbviau wrote:That Agricola sounds good. I've never ordered from Steady State before. I assume they roast to order?
I've never tried Steady State either, but just ordered some of the Agricola. It's a little finicky as espresso, but when it's dialed in it's really good. And it's surprisingly good as a cappuccino, even though a lot of its flavors seem lighter and more delicate.

Chert

#1200: Post by Chert »

My espresso drinking colleague brought Aveley Farms Loring Street Espresso from Baltimore.

Shout out to Aveley Farms Coffee Roasters with a "WOW". Nice job on a fruity, complex, sweet espresso with good body.
LMWDP #198