What is wow'ing you? - Page 111

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#1101: Post by spressomon »

Just received another order of Northbound's Organic Eithopia Yirgacheffe (Bedhatu Jibicho natural process, "light roast") and even at only 4-days post roast it is delicious. This isn't a monster fruit bomb but rather, a well balanced fruity/jammy with a little chocolate/cocoa in the mix bean.

Worthy in my book and at only $65 for 5lbs delivered!

18g in, 30g out, 201F, pre-brew until 6 grams espresso in cup (approximately 20-seconds @ first drop), full brew until 22 grams in cup, then ramp down (back to pre-brew setting) to 30 grams total.

No Espresso = Depresso

Radio.YYZ

#1102: Post by Radio.YYZ »

The last two coffees i got were so far the best i have had:

First one: Brazil Natural Micro-lot Mortadella Ripe Cherry Project
Roasted: Light, half way into first crack.
My avg rating was: 8.36/10
Using about 18.5-19gms dose depending on as time progressed and beans got older. Doing 1.5x ratio.

Second one: Colombia Narino Aponte Honey
Roasted: Light, half way into first crack.
My avg rating was: 8.54/10 (ongoing)
Using 19gms so far and 1.5x ratio.

I usually do Natural process but this honey process is very yum.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Advertisement
SweetBriar

#1103: Post by SweetBriar »

MT coffee Roasters Dusk til Dawn & Espresso81
City Brew ~ Northern Lights
Cafe Grumpy ~ Heartbreaker

Plinyyounger

#1104: Post by Plinyyounger »

This new coffee I found happens to be less then a mile from my house, lol. Doma coffee roasting company. I have purchased a few coffees from them in the past, some medium roasts, gautamaliam and their house espresso, both good but I like GMC and lions better from Caffe Lusso. So I visited again a few days ago and asked for some lighter roasts and was sold a Colombian and an Ethiopian.

I tried the Ethiopian today and what a pleasant suprise! Orange, sweetness, super fragrant flowers. I've never had a coffee like this it is really good.

Pulled at 203 18g in 37 out at 30 sec. amazing, this is my new favorite.
Family, coffee and fun.

STG

#1105: Post by STG »

spressomon wrote:Just received another order of Northbound's Organic Eithopia Yirgacheffe (Bedhatu Jibicho natural process, "light roast") and even at only 4-days post roast it is delicious. This isn't a monster fruit bomb but rather, a well balanced fruity/jammy with a little chocolate/cocoa in the mix bean.

Worthy in my book and at only $65 for 5lbs delivered!

18g in, 30g out, 201F, pre-brew until 6 grams espresso in cup (approximately 20-seconds @ first drop), full brew until 22 grams in cup, then ramp down (back to pre-brew setting) to 30 grams total.

I just got my hands on some of this. It'll be interesting because I roasted a bunch of it back when it was available from Burman.

What pressures do you hit at pre-brew, full brew? I'm just starting to play around with profiling. Also, have you tried different brew ratios?

spressomon

#1106: Post by spressomon replying to STG »

Been out camping and using my EspressoForge to pull incredibly delicious shots with these Northbound beans. 21g (IMS 26.5 basket), 2-3 BAR (~30psi) until first drops appear (about 10-seconds on the EF) then I slowly ramp up pressure to 9BAR until I have about 25g in the cup then slowly ramp down to 35g or so in the cup total.

I'll have to pay attention on the pressure when using the Slayer. But the EF works so well...I might just set it up at home for awhile :D. One of incredible attributes of the EF, IMHO, is the declining brew water temperature aspect. If I was left with one espresso machine/device, my EspressoForge wins.
No Espresso = Depresso

doctorold

#1107: Post by doctorold »

I read a lot of fuss about B&W. I bit and bought a two pound bag of Classic. So far, unimpressed. If someone has a recipe they use for those beans I'd love to hear it.

Advertisement
rockethead26

#1108: Post by rockethead26 replying to doctorold »

See posts 71 and 72 Black and White Roasters

Iowa_Boy

#1109: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Almost through my first bag from Red Rooster Coffee. It is their Flight Seasonal espresso, which I am really pleased with. The blend is a natural Ethiopia Arsosala, washed Ethiopia Idido and honey processed Colombia Hermes Adarme. As espresso (201 degrees, 18 grams in, 42 out, 38 seconds, 15 second pre-infusion) there is a pleasing upfront raspberry flavor followed by a lingering sweet finish. As a pour over, the flavors are a bit more muted but similar profile. Really enjoying this coffee and looking forward to trying other RR offerings (also have their Funky Chicken blend to try).

Me2

#1110: Post by Me2 »

I randomly ordered a bag of mother tongue bittersweet, quite good. Up there with one of my all time gotos Olympia Big Truck.