What is wow'ing you? - Page 106

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
danetrainer

#1051: Post by danetrainer »

It was a very friendly coffee to pull easily. Not finicky or frustrating finding the sweet spot like some, I enjoyed all the different profiles I pulled of it.

10 to 15 second PI, not super tight grind, just an easy flow for 25 more seconds. I don't generally weigh the output as I can generally hit the same amount with my experience. I would say 1 to 1.5 or slightly more. Say 18.5 dose and 28 out.

I use the EPNW 14g ridged basket (it is different than the ridgeless one) and 203 F for light roasted Ethiopians.
Declining lever profile for the last 10 seconds or so maintaining an even flow.

You certainly don't have to go overboard trying to mimic this shot, I pulled it many different ways and enjoyed them all.

Radio.YYZ

#1052: Post by Radio.YYZ »

Got some Ethiopian Kochere, 3 days post roast was not my fave, week later its been great. Roasted at City level (medium) no oil on beans.

I usually like natural process its my first washed.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

tyfabes

#1053: Post by tyfabes »

Working my way through 10lbs of the Happy Mug Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Halo Bariti. Have tried a few different roast profiles and this one's an easy roaster. One of the better beans I've purchased/roasted in the last 6 months!

cmin

#1054: Post by cmin replying to tyfabes »

Ughh I just ordered 4lbs of that from them, and found them nigh impossible to dial especially on the vst basket. This is like the 6th or 7th chance I've given that roaster and they've completely flopped all but 1 time. I had an natural Ethiopian that was solid, then next order sucked, and they sent replacement bags, all sucked (tasted like stale generic coffee, meanwhile they told me their sipping it in the shop and was still a blueberry bomb). Gave them another chance months later, sucked. Decided to give them another try now with the Halo, ugh lol.

Chert

#1055: Post by Chert »

I'll gush more elsewhere about the breakfast and coffee experience of Proud Mary's Portland, OR location.

Here a shout out for their Mexico Petra de Dios. At the cafe their batch brew shone reminescent of natural process Las Lajas Costa Rica and Nayarita Mexico natural and thd bag we brought home is wowing as as flat white and is tasty as espresso.
LMWDP #198

SweetBriar

#1056: Post by SweetBriar »

Montana Coffee Traders ~ Grizzly Blend
City Brew ~ Blazing Prairies
Seattle's Best ~ Henry's Blend

-sweetbriar

tyfabes

#1057: Post by tyfabes »

cmin wrote:Ughh I just ordered 4lbs of that from them, and found them nigh impossible to dial especially on the vst basket. This is like the 6th or 7th chance I've given that roaster and they've completely flopped all but 1 time. I had an natural Ethiopian that was solid, then next order sucked, and they sent replacement bags, all sucked (tasted like stale generic coffee, meanwhile they told me their sipping it in the shop and was still a blueberry bomb). Gave them another chance months later, sucked. Decided to give them another try now with the Halo, ugh lol.
That's odd! Sorry to hear you've not had good luck. I ordered green coffee and have been roasting it myself. I can't imagine my roasts are any better than theirs, but I am enjoying it!

Chert

#1058: Post by Chert »

The Proud Mary Nicaragua anaerobic process "100% purple" really does match their grape grape grape note. I say "wow" when a flavor note on a bag is so clearly true in the cup.
LMWDP #198

Ora

#1059: Post by Ora replying to Chert »

I see a lot of roasters offering coffee with big "grape" tasting notes these days. I wonder if its the new blueberry. Hows the body and sweetness? Although its fun for me to find really prominent berry notes in Ethiopians, i find i cant finish the cup because its so thin its tea-like and i just get bored.

Chert

#1060: Post by Chert »

Ora wrote: Hows the body and sweetness?
I don't focus alot on body when I enjoy drip coffee so I am not sure how to describe it. I don't think it was full bodied. The sweetness was good and went along well with the grape notes. I don't reject a cup of coffee for being tea-like.

Here's what they have to say about it: deluxe-nicaragua-finca-la-laguna caturra-anaerobic-natural-72hr .
My one espresso shot was a bit mouthpuckering so I went with Kalita and Chemex for the two brews I have made.
LMWDP #198